Plumbing question: Hayward SP3200UNKIT to 1.5" PVC??

May 8, 2016
Florence, MS
I want to store my $$$ Hayward TriStar pump for the off season and instead use an old, beat up pump (Jacuzzi Cygnet II) through the winter. The problem is the SP3200UNKIT connector feeding the TriStar pump. I can't find anything to connect to it! I'd like to end up with 1.5" PVC. Has anyone overcome this problem? Here's a photo of the connector:

SP3200 connector on TriStar pump.jpg

I found a fix and a video is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yR4mosJXZLzzrnFQI_AXudPJW839MK5E/view?usp=sharing

Thanks very much

Chuck

Last edited:
That union half is proprietary to the Hayward pumps, I don't believe you will find another half union to fit it

Wonder why that union is proprietary? hmmmm, maybe they don't want you buying anything else to fit it.

chuck, not sure how long the PVC run is on that pipe, but you could configure something like a compression coupling that would allow you to change out from the proprietary union to a standard union that would fit anything else...you'd essentially cut back as far as you could, add a compression coupling, then the correct distance of a little more PCV w a standard coupling...the distances would need to be the same for both the new one and the current propriety one...the only issue is you are adding one more point of failure for a leak. You could always buy new O-Rings and lube them. Another issue is how you'd attach the outbound PVC too...

Just for the record, does anyone know if Pentairs or Jandys union are proprietary too?

I would do just that if I had room to spare. Since it’s on the suction side i think im going to rubber tape a matching flange to the existing flange and use 3 small clamps to hold the flanges together with a gasket in between. It will look bush-league but i believe will remain airtight. Thanks very much for your input and cross your fingers!

What does an acceptable bulkhead union look like for the Jacuzzi pump? I have same Hayward 3200 VSP. I have old intake Union with circular gasket on bottom that’s insert into flat union area-(purchased at Home Depot years ago) and no leaks. The output flow side did Spring a leak and I replaced it with the proprietary union from Hayward. I do want to replace the inlet side, but if I need to swap in the original backup single speed pump (Starite) I want it to still be compatible.
The union from HD is 1.5” and I’d prefer 2” so now I’ve got 1.5 coming in and new 2” going out...so I’m losing some flow.

Sorry I didn't see this Kevin. It sounds like your fix went well. I came back to this post to upload an easy fix I've found and it works perfectly in my application (suction side). I'm using a Lowe's 1-1/2 to 1-1/2 Fernco type coupling, shoving one end into the Hayward SP3200 connector along with the 1-1/2" PVC. The rubber coupler is a snug fit and the PVC provides perfect I.D. support. I'll upload a link. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.