Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about my pump, feedback needed.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about my pump, feedback needed.

As any of you may have read I just got back from a two week vacation. I came home and went to check the pool and I could not even get the skimmer basket out. It was full of leaves. I had to pull leaves and more leaves out and finally got the basket out. I did not see any leaves below the basket. I turned off the pump and went to check the small basket by the pump and it was about 3/4 of the way full. It is weird that this happened due to the water being higher than normal. I emptied both baskets out and put it all back together. I turned on the pump again for about 5 minutes and turn it off. The small basket by the pump was about half full of leaves. I did the same thing again and the small basket had about 1/4 full. Then the last time just a few leaves. Am I safe to assume that my pump is ok. The pressure is a little above 10 and seems to still be sucking pretty hard. The return jets are still going strong. So do I need to worry about anything or am I just fine?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about my pump, feedback needed.

Sounds like all's well

The question is how the leaves bypassed the skimmer basket (BTW- next time you go to empty the skimmer basket, and it's full, turn off the pump first so that you can more easily remove and empty the basket

Please let us know if you have further issues with this.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Sounds like all's well

The question is how the leaves bypassed the skimmer basket (BTW- next time you go to empty the skimmer basket, and it's full, turn off the pump first so that you can more easily remove and empty the basket

Please let us know if you have further issues with this.
    Yea not sure how they got passed it as I see no holes in the basket. The only thing I can think is they either got by on the side or through the small small holes at the bottom of the basket. Or maybe the water pushed the basket up slightly and they got in that way.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by laurandavid09
    Yea not sure how they got passed it as I see no holes in the basket. The only thing I can think is they either got by on the side or through the small small holes at the bottom of the basket. Or maybe the water pushed the basket up slightly and they got in that way.
    I used to wonder about that, too. Here's what happens in my pool: The skimmer basket fills up with leaves via suction during pump operation, but when the pump turns off the skimmer basket floats up out of the well and some of the leaves come to the surface or even float back out into the pool. When the pump restarts, normally the basket reseats, the leaves that had fallen out are sucked back in, etc. until I empty the basket. Once in while, however, the basket has risen too far and the suction created when the pump restarts pulls in the leaves ahead of the basket (leaves don't weigh as much.) On several trips I've returned to find the skimmer basket upended with leaves wedged around the sides and layered on top. Only once has this been so severe that the pump filter basket became so clogged with debris that it couldn't prime.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

With my skimmer, the basket will lock into the skimmer with a slight turn after it is seated so it won't float up when the pump is shut off. You might check to see if yours has that feature as well.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I had to put a rock in my basket to keep it from floating. Not very elegant, but it works...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine came with a weight to keep it from floating.

On the other hand.... we were visiting my SIL last week and their pool has a skimmer that looks like the basket was intended to float. No weir flap, basket is narrower and deeper than I'd expect, with the pump on it's floating about 1/2" under the surface and there is really major skimming action. (I looked at it because I notice the returns were blowing air; the skimmer was plugged with leaves and sucking air. After cleaning it out I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to make the basket stay down, and there just wasn't any way I could find. But it seemed to work when floating.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I'm with Beez, the rock works for me.

I even picked up a couple of smooth, quartz-like ones that get all cleaned up in the skimmer and fun to admire when I dump. (it doesn't take much to entertain me)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine is like Marks, it has lips that the basket flange locks under with a quarter turn of the basket. Even with that once the basket is completely full there's a small space around the basket that a leaf or two can get by and make it to the pump strainer.

laurandavid -- I agree with the other posters, if you've cleaned out the baskets and the suction and discharge seem normal, everything should be good. You probably want to check the impeller for obstructions but you don't need to be in any hurry to do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Careful putting rocks in. They have a habit of falling out. Murphy's laws dictates it will go down the skimmer line and get stuck.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Careful putting rocks in. They have a habit of falling out. Murphy's laws dictates it will go down the skimmer line and get stuck.

Scott
    That's why you make sure that the rock is bigger than the hole in the skimmer!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

12. Back To Top    #12

There's been more leaves in my pump basket than I expected since I recently had cleaned it out. After wondering how the leaves were getting in there, I finally figured it out! I have a suction side cleaner(Navigator) which just sends whatever it picks up directly to the pump basket. I guess I'll have to clean out the pump basket more often than I thought.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

13. Back To Top    #13

I use a leaf trap such as these. It keeps the leaves out of the pump basket.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the link! I've heard of those, but thought I wouldn't need it with no trees in the yard. But I definitely could use one.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build