Pentair filter leaking

Mcb

Jan 3, 2018
Chino hills, CA
Ok this thing is driving me nuts.
I took it apart to clean it. While putting it back together i couldn't stop it from leaking. I determined that the band clamp needed replaced. I installed the new one. I've done everything that I could find to install it correctly and prevent leaks.

O ring is 1 year old and in good shape. I lubed it. Installed it back and went around the top and bottom gaps with more lube to help seal it further. Sprayed wd40 on the band to help it slide around the housing and clamp tighter. I used a wood block and hammer to gently tap down to press the seal every few turns. The plastic knob is as tight as i can get it by hand. Not sure if I should tighten further with channel locks? What is my next step?

Sounds like you did try everything and did it all right. I invested in a good rubber mallet to knock the band into seat as I tightened it down.

I will mention one possibility is I had crud and dirt and thin bougainvillea leaves stuck to the upper lid and lip where the gasket goes. Removed the gasket, hosed it off and used some degreaser and terry towel to clean the lip gasket ‘seats’ on the lid and bucket and wiped up a lot of gunk.

If it starts leaking again, I've used black ge silicone. I think the filter housing warps after time. I've put on new gaskets and it still leaks with the expensive non petroleum pool lube gasket material. If you need to clean the filter the casing comes right apart. The silicone won't wreck the gasket or seal the filter housing. I've done it many times instead of messing around with tightening the clamps, pulling it apart, etc... Remember to tighten the clamps in a kriss cross manner

If it starts leaking again, I've used black ge silicone. I think the filter housing warps after time. I've put on new gaskets and it still leaks with the expensive non petroleum pool lube gasket material. If you need to clean the filter the casing comes right apart. The silicone won't wreck the gasket or seal the filter housing. I've done it many times instead of messing around with tightening the clamps, pulling it apart, etc... Remember to tighten the clamps in a kriss cross manner

Kriss cross manner? I have 1 knob to twist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.