Expansion plug or Gizmo?

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
I closed this year with #10 expansion plugs in my skimmers (instead of Gizmos). I still used the Gizmos, but I screwed them into the unused threaded holes in the skimmers. Then I chopped up some noodles and crammed them in there as well.

I did it this way because I never trusted the "water tightness" of the seal I got with the Gizmos. It always seemed I would get a more reliable seal with the plugs. AM I WRONG?

AM I WRONG?

There is no right or wrong way of winterizing the skimmers, just as long as you clear the lines and set up the skimmer housing for ice expansion.

How I do my closing is as follows:

Drain water below the skimmers by 1". Then blow out skimmers & vacuum water. Install Gizzmo's with Teflon Tape (a lot) - or about 6 turns. Then blow out the main drain. Because the Cyclone produces so much movement, there is water that enters the skimmers (not a lot, but some). Before placing the cover, I visually inspect the skimmers for air bubbles, and this is how you know that the seal is tight. Using a # 10 plug is fine as long as there are no air bubbles. Basically the same as you plug the returns, which should be producing no bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.