Unexpected Snow Storm to Derail Installation?

jsherm

Nov 16, 2018
Somers, NY
Hi,
I live in the North East, and I am mid way through install of a fiberglass free form pool, and spa, and unlock patio to go around.
All electric and plumbing lines have been done, and covered back up. Pool has water in it. Around Pool and spa was backfilled we were still waiting on concrete, coping and then patio when last night, "historic" snow storm dropped about 10 inches of snow on the area. (freak storm, was expecting 3 inches followed by rain)
The pool is not yet covered, because we were told coping (at very least) had to be done to measure and order custom cover.

My question: is the pool getting damaged with the snow/ice?
What should our plan be for winter if they are unable to complete the patio until spring?

Thanks for any help :)

If the pump is running, you should leave it on 24/7 to prevent freezing. If the pump is not yet installed then you should winterize (lower level in pool and blow all water out of the plumbing). This should prevent freeze damage to skimmers and plumbing lines.

I would ask the PB to winterize so you are (potentially ) covered if anything goes wrong. See what his approach will be and post it here to see if it makes sense to others.

Personally I would look at this a blessing in disguise and push the PB to wait till spring to finish. It is very difficult to "properly " work concrete in these low Temps. There are many things that can go wrong with the freeze protection methods and once it is poured the general phrase is "It should be ok...." and you are stuck with a subpar job. I have worked in the construction industry for 35 years in NE and my general philosophy on doing winter work outside is it will cost twice as much and come out half as good...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.