Question about Heat Pump Siphon

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hi all,

Yesterday we were making some tests on the CL pool (signature) trying to heat it up for today.. Started 5 pm yesterday.

Pool water temperature is these days around 20ºC (i think it is like 68ºF) so it's cold compared to the 24ºC+ we usually have after March-April. We left the heat pump running since 5 pm yesterday.

Today we checked, and noticed that the pool increased to 21ºC only. We noticed that this new pool, has only one jet from where the "warm" water comes out. (not really warm no matter we set up the heat pump to it's max. temp. capacity since yesterday).

Also we are not sure if the pool pump should be running 24/7 in order to make the pool heat up properly? Or just by running the heat pump alone is enough?

Tell you later why of this questions,

Wish you all a great New Year's Eve dinner, party, night, with your beloved ones...

I think you meant to post in another section since this is not a spa or hot tub. Anyway, heat pumps heat rather slowly so would usually be run 24/7. The pool pump could help circulate the water better than using the heat pump alone and I assume the heat pump does some circulation as well (just not as much). A pool cover would help retain heat at night (and on cloudy days) so would make the pool heat up more quickly.

My Heat Syphon Heat Pump is set to come on when the pump is running. I would suggest checking to see when you heat pump comes on. You will have to set the pool pump to 24hrs. When the set temp is reached the pump will shut off. It works like your airconditioner in your house. Hope I have explained correctly :cheers:

The pool pump has to be running for the heat pump to operate. The "pump" in heat pump refers to its ability to "pump" heat from the air to the water. They do not circulate water. You can refer to the literature that came with it to determine the heat curve for that particular unit. The air temp will determine how efficient it is. The ratings on most heat pumps in terms of BTU output is based on 80 degree air temp and 80% humidity (someone correct the numbers if I'm wrong). Lower air temp and humidity will change the curve. As someone above said, heat pumps should run 24/7 until the desired temp is reached. Turning them on and off before the desired water temp is reached is counter productive. They are slower to heat than than gas, but MUCH cheaper to operate. The best way to run one is to maintain the temperature all the time rather than running it on the weekends or when you want to swim. The time (and cost) it takes to reach say 82 degrees from 70 degree water is more than the minimal amount it takes to maintain 80 degree water 24/7.

Many thanks for your great comments. Exactly what I needed to read to confirm some doubts I have.

Sorry if I posted here, :hammer:

I won't post again on this matter here. Is it possible to close or move the thread to where it belongs maybe?

Your comments have helped much as usual :goodjob: .

Have a great N-Y-E's!! :cheers:

And again, thanks to you all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.