Not really a mystery

peirek

Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2017
Sachse, TX
Salt pool.....
Question: What happens when you get 20+ inches of rain in a 3 week period with an average pool depth of 4.5’ with water temps still in the 70’s? Oh and you get distracted by other events and you slack a bit on equipment monitoring and daily FC testing.

Answer: Your salt level drops below cell operating range and it quits making chlorine. Darn I wish I had automation and an iPhone App.

Question: What was your first clue?

Answer: Why is my water not sparkly........

SLAM has started. Fortunately the heavy rain reduced my CYA to 50 (from 80) and FC only needs to be at 20ppm. This will be my first SLAM on this pool. I have helped others but never my pool since finding TFP.

I post here to maybe clue others in the rain soak South.

Agh! Dealing with a similar thing, although don’t need to slam as salt didn’t quite drop low enough for the cell to stop functioning, but almost did. It was just above minimum level. My cya also dropped from 70 to 40. I’d been wondering how my pool would react to significant amounts of rain. Now I know, I can be more prepared next time. You’re in a good position to SLAM. Hopefully it goes quickly for you.

SLAM is complete! Short and sweet. Water was back to sparkly and CC @ 0 within 24 hours. Passed the OCLT last night. I actually didn't know my eye was trained this well to detect the first hint of cloudiness. Glad I did!

Added 160# of salt yesterday afternoon. Will test for proper level today.

I will leave CYA @ 50 for the winter just in case.................

Thanks again TFP for all the knowledge gained! :salut:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.