winterize un-finished inground pool HELP

Oct 27, 2018
PHILADELPHIA
We have a new gunite pool located in NorthEast Philadelphia that can't be finished list year. No water or plaster in pool. How to winterize and keep the drains from freezing - 4 drains two in deep end and two in spa. PLEASE HELP I am running out of time with the cold weather coming soon.
THANKS STEVE

Hi, welcome to TFP! Do you have any water in the pipes at this time? Is there any standing water in the shell of the pool? If there is no standing water in the shell of the pool, then the pipes under the drain should be clear of water. I would plug the drains so no water can get in. If you want you can add some anti-freeze to the drain pipe for a little extra insurance. Is there a skimmer installed yet?

What I'm concerned with is say I blow out the water from the plumbing that have water in them from the plumbers pressure test (Remember there is no water in the pool) Then Plug that line.
How would i protect the drains from rain water and snow from freeze damage to both the skimmers and drains. Skimmers I will blow out and add antifreeze then plug with gizmos. My thought was to not install any of the other plugs that are open to the earth as they act as a drain. Each skimmer and drains have two plugs. When the plumber installed the pvc sch 40 lines he then plugged them to pressurize with the garden hose. The other plug hole he left out (Open). That plug is just open to the earth - dirt - stone under the skimmers and drains. So if I can get the water out of all lines and plug them. Will rain and snow damage the drain if water builds up in them. I have seen a foot of water in the deep end and spa during this summer rains. It rained last night so there is water a few inches of water in the pool at this time. ALSO the plumber had used to much glue in one skimmer line that he plugged and i can't get that plug out. It is tight. I have made (Welded) the tool a long T-bar with 1 1/4 " square hole to fit on the standard plug to get it out and it wont move.
THANKS STEVE

Steve:

Please upload some pictures of the pool and drains, etc. If the returns and skimmers are plugged, there is no water in the lines, then no worries. Your drain, if it has a cover on it, should have been plugged by the builder. It is highly recommended you call the builder first and find out what they did.

It is the responsibility of the builder to winterize the pool properly as the work has not been finished. If nothing has been plugged on the bottom, then ask him/her kindly to come by and remove the covers from the main drains and plug them accordingly. He/She may suggest to leave them open, but this is a discussion that you and the builder must have. Also, you mention 2 drains in the spa? Exactly where are they, and is this a spill over spa?

Again, I would ask the PB to close off all the drains, returns, skimmer lines, etc. Thanks!

Please upload pictures of the pool. It is difficult to determine what needs to be done without pictures. Also, you did not mention if you have main drain covers, and covers on the spillover spa drains, or are they open and you can see the piping? Please note that you have time before any deep freezes. There should be water in the pool now if the shell has been poured from all the rain we have had. You are not that far from me.

If the pool is empty, a shop vac will do the trick. We can assist you in clearing the lines and saving you $550. Most PB's from what I have seen will winterize your pool during construction. If your final CA ha not been approved, I am wondering if they have over stepped their responsibilities. Do you have a shop vac?

That seems a little steep, even for a pool maintenance company doing a finished pool - from the guy that's building it and hasn't finished it, I think he should do it for nothing!

You are 100% correct. I also believe that a contractor (by State Law's) is still responsible for everything until the final CA. Maybe Pennsylvania laws are different.

I am planning on having the builder come and winterize the pool . They want to charge me a extra $550 to do this. Its like blackmail.
Ok, so are you saying the builder will winterize the pool, but not winterize the drains? Are you asking them to do something they say they do not need to do?

If there is no water in the pool and spa, you can blow any remaining water out of the lines and plug them. They will not fill with snow or rain water once they are plugged. As long as the majority of water has been removed from the line, you will not have ice expansion that will damage them when the temperature drops below freezing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.