how much to lower a fiberglass pool with a loop loc mesh cover

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A pool service is closing my fiberglass pool on Friday or Saturday. I’ve got a loop-lock mesh cover so they claim that it needs to be lowered below the returns to keep the water level below the tile line all winter. Is it safe to lower a fiberglass pool this low or should I have them lower the water a few inches below the skimmer instead and pump out water once it gets near the tile line? It’s not easy to get those loop locs off and on but I’d be willing to monitor the level and drain water out over the winter if it would be safer for my pool than lowering it below the returns.

If you're going to get any snow or ice load, you have to keep the water close enough to the cover so that the cover will be supported by the water.

If the water is too low, the cover can be overstressed and damaged.

The installation guide for your specific cover will specify the maximum allowable distance from the cover to the water.

Mesh 15" to 18" maximum.
Solid 12" to 16" maximum.

As long as the cover is installed with the correct tension in the springs and you have a cover tool, the cover should be easy to pull back a corner to check the level.

The correct tension is snug but not super tight. The springs should never be completely compressed.

We don’t get more than a few inches of snow at a time here. Looks the bottom of my returns is approximately 17-18 inches from the top, so would there be any harm in lowering the water that far or would it be safer to just lower it below the skimmer which is 3-4 inches higher? I’ve read that fiberglass pools can crack or even pop out of the ground if water is lowered too far so I want to make sure it is closed the correct way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.