Spa Draining Into Pool - Changed Check Valve

Feb 8, 2010
I have a raised spa that’s draining into the pool when the pump goes off. It drains to the level of the jets in the spa so I assume water is seeping back into the pool from the spa jets.

I have fixed this in the past by replacing the check valve but this time (after replacing both check valves) , it still empties when the pool pump is off.

If I drop a small leaf near the spa jets, it gets sucked into the jet when the pump is off...

I’ve also replaced the jandy valve that directs the water to either the spa or pool when the pump is running..

What else am I missing here?

Attachments

• 5538DA14-D336-4BEC-8E7E-2BEE23D5B0BB.jpg
    5538DA14-D336-4BEC-8E7E-2BEE23D5B0BB.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • A55D974C-6FE4-4200-A830-941FB5FE84F7.jpg
    A55D974C-6FE4-4200-A830-941FB5FE84F7.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 43
The valve actuator in front of the pump appears to be out of adjustment. That handle needs to be parallel to the plumbing. Even off by a little will cause a drain down. You can try to adjust it, but if it was working properly before, then the gearbox is worn in which case, if you adjust, it will just fall out of adjustment again, maybe not right away, but eventually.

The valve actuator needs to be replaced. A good way to check for sure would be to remove the actuator from the valve, the handle from the actuator, reinstall the handle on the valve, align the handle to the plumbing (you wont be moving it very far), run the pump to fill the spa up, turn off the pump (overnight), then see in the morning.

Thanks. It's not in the photo, but I did remove the actuator and actually replaced the jandy diverter valve and manually set it (without using the actuator) to align...

Unfortunately, it's still draining.

Could the new check valves be bad?

Try closing the ball valve in the first picture on the right side of lower plumbing. Be careful to move handle slowly if it hasn't been used in a while it will be very stiff don't force it. If spa level stays up, then the lower check valve isn't working right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.