VitroClean Installation Question

Oct 13, 2018
BRADENTON
Hi, we are having a new Tagelus TA60D 24" w/1.5" Multiport Valve sand filter installed to replace a Hayward that developed a leak in a seam. We decided to use VitroClean Green and have a few questions. We understand we can use 20% less of this product, but do we need to use pea gravel as well to cover the laterals. In the installation manual for the Tagelus is does recommend using 50 lbs of pea gravel, but we have read several reviews where people did not add the pea gravel and just added the VitroClean. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
catrobinson01

Vitroclean Green and Aquatic replace #20 silica sand in sand media water filters. Vitroclean Pebble is placed in the bottom of the filter to cover the laterals to minimize movement of the laterals and ensure proper flow on backwashing.

The product is crushed glass. Without the pebble, smaller particles are likely to bypass the laterals or clog the lateral slits.

I have been running Vitroclean in my 600# filter since 2011 and have not experienced any of it bypassing my laterals. It is designed to be a direct replacement for #20 sand so if you do not have a problem with sand bypassing your laterals now you will not have trouble with Vitroclean.

The reason for the pebbles is to reduce the amount of filter media required in larger filters to improve flow rates and reduce the weight of the filter.

Most of the filtering occurs within the uppermost portion of the filter so a two or three foot thick bed of filter media is unnecessary, hence the "filler" material of pebbles. That said, the instructions for my filter left the choice up to me and I opted to use all sand and have not experienced any problems related to flow rate or filter pressure.

Last edited: