Are any of the current Intex SWG models worth using in an inground pool?

cg11

Jun 21, 2018
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I've been researching the possibility of using one of the low cost Intex SWGs on my 10,000 gallon gunite.

It looks like the performance is decreased on the more recent units vs the units from about 10 years ago. It also looks like some of the current models might include copper and/or ozone, which I understand are undesirable for various reasons.

Are there any current models that would be worth using on my 10k? Or any certain older models to look for on ebay?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We recommend the SWG be sized to have its output rated to 2-3x the size of your pool. So, you need something rated at least for 20k gallons.

Maybe the Intex would produce enough FC, or maybe you would need 2 of them.

Looks like from your signature that your pump is likely much over-sized for your pool also ... do you have a bunch of water features or something? That single speed has to be an energy hog.

The pool came with a house I bought this spring, and all of the equipment is from the original owner. I'm still a pool noob at this point.

I'm not exactly sure why they chose this pump, although there are a lot of plants and trees in the backyard and the pool does collect quite a lot of dead leaves and flowers. Maybe the oversized pump helps keep a particularly dirty pool clean?

In any case, I'd like to have a dual speed, but also don't want to spend terribly much on the pool that I don't have to, since buying the house was such a large expense. I'm kind of a DIYer by nature, but it makes me a little nervous to think about trying to install something like a new pool pump.

With the Intex SWGs, it sounds like even if I need 2 of them, I might come out ahead.

I have been running two intex for about 2 1/2 years. Total Cost for two Intex: $200 (on sale) Still going strong with no problems. Two intex generates 1.2lbs per 24 hours. Running 8 hours a day for the hot florida summer. In november it will be running 1hr day. I have recouped my cost in one year. I have been documenting my experience over here:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...r-in-ground-pool-(IGP)-Model-ECO-8110-28669EG

I run two Intex units on my 6700 gallon pool, second season so far. In the peak of summer I ran them about 5 hours each and had no issues keeping up with FC demand. Right now I have one running 2 hours, and I alternate between them until they get put away for winter.

I have a link in my signature showing the install.

Thanks everyone. Looking at the builds y'all have made me realize just how much I have to learn about the plumbing on these things.

I may need some help when the time comes. I'll probably try to get through this winter with a light blocking cover and occasional bleach if needed, then revisit the Intex idea and see what I can work out in the spring.

Yes I would not recommend intex setup unless you are avid diy/tinkerer. I've been eye balling the circuPool as alternative. however I have no reason to go this way.

Thanks everyone. Looking at the builds y'all have made me realize just how much I have to learn about the plumbing on these things.

I may need some help when the time comes. I'll probably try to get through this winter with a light blocking cover and occasional bleach if needed, then revisit the Intex idea and see what I can work out in the spring.

I thought about it, but ended up getting a Circupool SJ-40 (buy an SJ-20 from Discount Salt Pool and it's a free upgrade to the SJ-40). Most of the year I only have to run it at 25% output, a few months in the middle of the summer I bump it up to 50%. Hopefully it will last a long time running at low output.

For planning purposes, I've been eyeballing the Circupool SJ-40 ($635) as possible future option. So far so good with two Intex SWG experiment. it's been easy to maintain and trouble free.

I thought about it, but ended up getting a Circupool SJ-40 (buy an SJ-20 from Discount Salt Pool and it's a free upgrade to the SJ-40). Most of the year I only have to run it at 25% output, a few months in the middle of the summer I bump it up to 50%. Hopefully it will last a long time running at low output.

I do quite a lot of my own repairs and am pretty comfortable with DIY in general, but I'm definitely at a disadvantage with anything pool related at this point.

What kind of installation cost should I expect with something like the Circupool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.