Dolphin M400 vs Active 30

Sep 14, 2018
Tulsa
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a robot. Wish I had done it a few months ago when my pool was first built, but my checking account/credit card needed a break. I currently have a demo A30 from one of my local stores. After a couple days of using, I am overall pleased. It is a dream compared with manually vacuuming. It is so user-friendly. It is lightweight, and seems to have no trouble navigating my pool and climbing the walls. Swivel is great. Basket is easy to clean. I downloaded the app for my phone and connected to the unit, but haven't found myself having to use it yet...

The only thing I am not wowed by is that although it seems to vacuum up everything with no problem, it doesn't seem to really "scrub" anything clean. And maybe none of these robots do anything more than "suck"... But I have white plaster, so if there is something out there that does a more powerful job, I want to try it out. I really feel like the M400 with the dual brushes and third middle brush may do more for me there. I will report more after I have demo'd the M400. If anyone out there has any advice on this, I would appreciate it. I realize the M400 is heavier and a little clunkier looking, and the filters aren't as easy to pull out and clean, but I am hoping the extra power equates to it better and actual cleaning in addition to just suctioning.

I know there are a lot of posts out there regarding the Dolphins, and I have tried to read through them all, but I wanted to start this thread to talk more specifically about the comparison of the brushing/cleaning ability between the M400 and the A30 (or equivalent model that doesn't have the third roller).
Thank you! Amy

The A30 is the same as the S300 which has fewer cleaning cycle options than the S300i (I have the S300i). If you have sand/silt issues, then the S300i will give you access to the Floor-Only mode as well as the Ultra Clean (suction motor run at higher power). Those options will allow the robot to scrub better.

I’m willing to bet you won’t see much of a cleaning performance improvement with the M400 and all you’ll do is pay more for the least-featured M series than you will for the feature-rich S series.

Thank you so much for this information! When I compared models on the Dolphin website, it does show that the S300i and A30i have "enhanced cleaning cycles", but doesn't do a great job of explaining what these enhanced cycles are called and what they do (or at least I couldn't find it anywhere). This "Ultra Clean" that you are talking about could be just what I need. My local store doesn't sell the "S" series, only the comparable "Active" and the "M"...
Did you buy yours online or from a store? I feel a certain loyalty towards my store b/c they are letting me demo, but I have seen that a lot of people in the forum order from "Marina Pools" for significant savings.

If you looking in my signature, there’s a link to my S300i thread. You can read through that to see lots of pictures and other stuff.

I bought local even though I was aware of Doheny’s and Marina’s for over-the-phone purchases (technically not online because that’s not allowed). I want local because the shop is an authorized Dolphin repair shop and they give out loaners in case your cleaner needs to stay for longer than a day. I paid more my robot than I would have going through Marina’s but I also have a relationship now with the shop as a customer and they are 3 miles away from me. So, in the event I need service, I can get very fast turn-around with no shipping hassles.

The Active 30i and the S300i are identical in features. Only difference is the color and a slight difference in look. I have an Active 30i and I love it. I bought mine locally because I liked the convenience of taking it in and not shipping it in case it needs repair.

Here a couple of action shots.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 93
Sorry for the late follow-up, and thanks to you both above for taking the time to educate me! Although you both made great cases for the A30 (my 2nd choice), I did end up going with the M400. It is a beast!! Have had it for about a month and it is indeed life-changing as far as pool-cleaning goes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.