AquaLink Emergency Stop

Lumpux

Aug 19, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Is there any way to force the AquaLink/iAquaLink to stop all programs remotely?

I'm particularly interested in being able to automatically stop the pump (with my home-automation system) in case of an emergency (leak detected).

I've seen a bridge that does this but it's pretty expensive for my need (stop pump).

One option would be to add a rely to stop power to the pump; but I wander if there is any build-in (emergency) stop feature on the AquaLink.

To be clear, I'm looking for advice on the AquaLink side, not the home-automation.

Thanks!

You can turn off the pump anytime (that it's running) via the indoor remote. Or you can go to the outdoor panel and put the system into SERVICE mode. Keep in mind that this locks out the indoor remote, spa side button, and iAqualink completely and makes the buttons outside active (for manual operation). I know of no other "cut off" other than turning off the breakers. Putting the system into SERVICE may be the best way to shut everything down since it is one button press, and everything stays off till you manually place the system back into auto mode.

If you wanted to do this cut off remotely, i would suggest turning off the pump/aux in question, and then (through the menu) edit or delete any associated programs to keep the aux in question from turning back on via a program. There is also a lockout function in the menu, either system or the pump, but i think editing the program may be easier. It really depends on why you want to do this, and for how long you wish to keep it locked out, or turned off.

Note: There is, in the menu, an "all off" selection that just turns everything that is currently on off. It is in the menu, meaning you have to go through and find it to activate, *EQUIPMENT ON/OFF/ALL OFF/OFF*. AND this is by no means a "panic" cut off since it is not easily accessible, and the program will turn things back on when the time cycles back to the program(s) start time(s).

All the equipment is inside a covered garage, so I want to be able to automatically "panic" stop operations if my home-auto detects a leak. Already happened once and it's not fun. It looks like my only option is to just cut off power with a relay, other than buying an expensive bridge.

I think a automatic relay is the safest unobtrusive option. You need to be able to put the control panel into service mode, (ie stop any automation or timed events), and you simply can't do that outside of pressing the physical "service button". I know the Aqualink RS485 protocol fairly well, and there is no documented commands I've seen or un-documented commands I know of that would achieve this. The best you could achieve is to monitor the RS485 buss and turn off anything that the control panel turned on, wouldn't be hard, but that's not the best fix.

Another option but would require soldering to the control panel, you could use a easily simulate pressing the physical service button with any ~$10 dry contact iot device. Just connect the dry contacts to the pins on the circuit board behind the service button, then get your home automation to toggle that iot device.

I'm interested in knowing what this expensive bridge is though?

On my aqualink android app there is a stop button that when tapped it gives a option to stop all future schedules. With a android device it is possible to emulate these taps so the process can be automated.

Have you looked at the AqualinkD project on github. It’s brilliant. A cheap raspberry pi computer and you have a modern smart thing / pool controller. I’ve integrated with Apple Home and it’s working well and about to integrate It to a HomeAssistant for complete automation with weather etc - still playing around with it. You can then connect it to a Fibaro switch that will instruct it to turn everything off.

Have you looked at the AqualinkD project on github. It’s brilliant. A cheap raspberry pi computer and you have a modern smart thing / pool controller. I’ve integrated with Apple Home and it’s working well and about to integrate It to a HomeAssistant for complete automation with weather etc - still playing around with it. You can then connect it to a Fibaro switch that will instruct it to turn everything off.

How reliable is the AqualinkD on a PI3? I'm using openHAB for the automation and I already have the a water sensor that alerts me if a leak is detected.

I think a automatic relay is the safest unobtrusive option. You need to be able to put the control panel into service mode, (ie stop any automation or timed events), and you simply can't do that outside of pressing the physical "service button". I know the Aqualink RS485 protocol fairly well, and there is no documented commands I've seen or un-documented commands I know of that would achieve this. The best you could achieve is to monitor the RS485 buss and turn off anything that the control panel turned on, wouldn't be hard, but that's not the best fix.

Another option but would require soldering to the control panel, you could use a easily simulate pressing the physical service button with any ~$10 dry contact iot device. Just connect the dry contacts to the pins on the circuit board behind the service button, then get your home automation to toggle that iot device.

I'm interested in knowing what this expensive bridge is though?

Does the Aqualink RS485 protocol reports the current status (Auto vs Service)? That way I can use a relay to cut-off power 'only' when the controller is in 'Auto' mode (and not in 'Service' mode).

The expensive option is the Autelis control.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ without any issues in terms of reliability. I have the box inside connected via telephone wire. I’ve been runn8ng for about 6 weeks without any Pi issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the Aqualink RS485 protocol reports the current status (Auto vs Service)? That way I can use a relay to cut-off power 'only' when the controller is in 'Auto' mode (and not in 'Service' mode).

The expensive option is the Autelis control.

I would assume that it does report the current status because the one touch remote is disabled in service mode and it’s only connection to the Aqualink Box is via RS485

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.