New Install/New Member

adirondak5

Bronze Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
Long Island , NY
Hi all . New member to TFP , been lurking for a bit . Had an ABG years ago and helped install a few over the years but haven't had a pool now in over 10 years . The wife and I have 3 of grandsons with us permanently , and thought they need a pool in the summer , and we do too , even though it is a smaller pool . I got a 15' x 54" Saltwater 8000 delivered the other day from " The Pool Factory ". Got a Unibead Mystri Gold liner , armor shield floor pad and peel and stick foam cove kit . I am still shopping filters , pumps , ladder , etc . I've been roughing the installation sight , getting fences up and such . I'll most likely do the install in the spring . Not sure if I'll go salt water or not but am leaning towards salt water . Also leaning towards the Pentair Clean & Clear 75 Sq' Cartridge Filter w/ 1 HP Optiflo Pump . Also looking at a Confer ladder . On the pool base for the install , I've used blocks/pavers under the uprights in the past , set using a builders level but I see some installs now using a 2" base of crusher run/stone dust compacted in a ring inside/outside perimeter of the wall . I'll most likely stick with blocks/pavers just because that's what I've done in the past . I'll post pictures along the build and gather the rest of my parts materials over the fall/winter months . I'll also study up on the Pool School articles here . Any comments or advice is appreciated .

Here's a picture of the install sight roughed out , lots of work left to do :) .

3wIziaL.jpg

Thank you Jason . I agree with you on looking at a 2 speed pump (lower cost to run) . Any suggestions on a complete unit Tank/2 speed Pump or would just looking at 2 speed pumps and tanks separately be the way to go ? A TF 100 is on the shopping list . Yes I have seen Pool School and have started reading , very helpful :D

Last edited:
It seems that often the combo pump/filter units are not matches well. Either the filter is too small or the pump is too big.
Although, your pool is on the smaller side, so there may be a 1HP 2-speed combo with a filter that is properly sized. I just have never shopped for them before to know what exists.

Still looking around at filter/pump combo's . it seems there is nothing out there in a cartridge filter set up around 75 sq ft with a 1 hp 2 speed pump , at least nothing that I could find . I could piece it together by buying separately , tank , pump , fittings etc , but it is quite a bit more expensive that way from what I am finding . It is almost a wash to buy the Pentair 75 sq ft filter with pump and then buy a 2 speed pump (Hayward power flo matrix) and change out the pumps . I've got time so maybe something will pop up over the next few months .

Hey Herb - Fellow long islander here.

I got the saltwater 5000 from pool factory. I love it. Since I'm not very handy I bought the exact pump & filter combo you are mentioning. It works perfect. it is true that you could save some electric by purchasing a 2 speed. However since our pools are pretty small I run my pump 3 hours a day so I figure it's not a big deal. Any other questions fire away

Hey Richie good to hear from another Lawn Islander . The Pool Factory was great to deal with , and fast too .That's good to know about your experience with the Pentair , and I see you are running a SWG also , 3 hours gives you enough to maintain your chlorine levels ? Also what do you think of the Intex SWG , the price is certainly easier on the wallet than some of the other brands . I was looking at the Hayward Aqua Trol RJ for a SWG . My final thoughts on the Pentair 75 Sq Ft with the 1 hp optiflo is I'll most likely pick it up . Maybe a 2 speed pump will come at a later date . So many options and choices out there I feel I'm getting paralysis by analysis :p

Yeah I bought the intex SWG but it took some fiddling around with to make it compatible. There was a very nice detailed thread about how to do it with pics I followed step by step. I usually add about 20oz of bleach per week to supplement the SWG since I only run my pump 3 hours. The aquatrol you can't go wrong with excellent product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Holy cow , ordered my TF-100 and Taylor K-1766 test kits today from TFTestkits , about 15 minutes later got the tracking number ! That's some fast service .
Nice right? :goodjob: The TFTestkit team takes pride in their customer service. If you ever have a question or concern about your kit(s), just let them know.

Nice right? :goodjob: The TFTestkit team takes pride in their customer service. If you ever have a question or concern about your kit(s), just let them know.

Sure is Pat . Got my TF-100 the other day , great dealing with TFTestkits , wish all dealers were like them :grin: .
Slowly but surely getting all the pieces/parts together for the Spring install . I picked up the Pentair Clean and Clear 75 sq. ft. for a good price , it comes with a single speed 1 hp optiflo pump . I found a brand new 2 speed 1hp Optiflo pump for a steep discount ($175) because of damaged box . I'll sell the single speed on Craigs List or Ebay . Got all the bonding supplies , wire , split bolts , lay in lugs . I still have the GFI service outside from my pool from years ago . Still looking for a SWG , leaning towards the Hayward Aqua Trol RJ . Also need to pickup a ladder , not happy with the reviews I've seen on the Confer Evolution so I'll have to look around more . Shopping around during the do nothing months up here is half the fun .

Some updates to my install finally . Small retaining wall installed on far side , pool area is leveled and blocks are set at upright locations .

pool a.jpg

Electric has been redone/upgraded . An intermatic timer is inside by the main panel to control the outlet . Base for filter and SWG mounting panel is done .

pool b.jpg

Its slow going as this is just a one man show but I'm getting there .

Reactions: Purple
Finally got time to get it up and filling , my son in law and daughter and wife all pitched in and helped . I had the prep work pretty much done , the blocks were in and level , the site was level , the sand was inside the bottom rail . We started at about 10 this morn setting the wall in the bottom track and finished up at about 4 this afternoon with the top rails and caps . Tomorrow I'll get the skimmer and return fitting installed and get the filter hooked up and the SWG too . Overall the Saltwater 8000 is a pretty nicely made AGP compared to the one I had years ago .

r4SHsM3.jpg

Mystri Gold Liner , got it pretty much wrinkle free , it sits on 3" sand base with Armor Pad and foam cove

7fjf4Qa.jpg

Pool is filled , cleaning up and putting some pond stone around it .

iFHzqtV.jpg

Jhn8Avj.jpg

Added salt and stabilizer and liquid chlorine until the CYA #'s were up and water temp came up a bit before turning SWG on . Here's this mornings #'s with the TF-100

FC- 8
CC- .5
TC- 8.5 ? ( do you add the FC and CC to get TC)
TA - 100
Salt - 3200
CYA - 70
PH 7.5
Water temp - 70*

I'll most likely get the SWG running today and get that adjusted to keep FC at levels indicated in the CYA/Chlorine chart , so far so good , if I'm missing or overlooking something please let me know :)

Reactions: Casey and sammckin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.