Help with pool plans

Aug 27, 2013
Been reading and researching for about a year or two now. Wife and I got a house about 7 years ago and had a 20x32 vinyl inground pool. I had started a post when we thought we were ready to start work on the pool and found out baby number 2 was on the way. I read Dave anusual build which is what have keep me going on a diy build. Specially after getting. $42k quote with no deck and all basic build. After another baby and some saving finally got approval from wife to start planning again on pool build. Now we are planning on a true L shape cement block 20x32 x40 while trying to use the old rectangle of destroy pool by super storm sandy. I got a basic drawing but was trying to find a software to do the designs and plan for permits but can’t come up with anything. Here is what I have come up with so far.
f76f2d3f46a639b7679b7027aa4eb1f4.jpg

I can't help you with the software part, but for your hard-copy drawing, consider including the following:
- Location of skimmer(s)
- Location of return jets
- Label the 4 circles you have in the middle
- Make note of the dimensions and depths
- Include the equipment info (pump/motor size, filter type & size, and auxiliary items, and how you plan to chlorinate)

All of that will help to get you better prepared. Good luck!

Look into Pool Studio by VIp3D. They offer a 30 day trial but there are limitations until you pay the monthly fee.

In reality there's no reason why you can't have draw the plans on a piece of paper like you are now. There are plenty of big builders that still do it that way.

Is this plan just so that you can see what it's going to look like or are you actually going to pull permits and Engineering on this?

Why use block?

Thanks for the replies. I will label everything up and update with pump/filter and all the info. Am considering cement block due to the ease of building it and filled with concrete. Am not sure I need engineer plan just plan with dimensions and placement of the pool. I was considering pour concrete but the expense on materials would be too high and could use that money else where on the pool.

Thanks for the replies. I will label everything up and update with pump/filter and all the info. Am considering cement block due to the ease of building it and filled with concrete. Am not sure I need engineer plan just plan with dimensions and placement of the pool. I was considering pour concrete but the expense on materials would be too high and could use that money else where on the pool.

if the pool does need to be engineered and I don't know why it wouldn't, be prepared for a significant expense for Structural Engineering. I would be willing to wager that the engineering expense plus the construction cost would make a shotcrete shell or one of those prefab liner jobs more economical

Where do u live? U mentioned sandy so ur northeast and u have a pool now? The ease of building is not real true w block it's way more work in end plus material isn't much cheaper than a steel wall pool. If ur kids and wife r swimming in it u wanna be sure it's built well and doing concrete bottom and block isn't as easy as u think. Then u have to waterproof entire pool w membrane material then plaster or tile. Easiest is a liner pool it's totally diy from start to finish I built mine myself and I'm in the bizness of construction and mr. concrete is my good friend I wouldn't dream of building a block pool

Duraleigh build is the perfect example of how I want to build my pool. I hate the feel of plaster pool something personals going with liner. Am located in Long Island New York. And yes the House came with a pool the was in really bad shape and like I mentioned before after super storm sandy it just got worse. Wife have even thought about filling it with dirt. Also kids are 4,6,and almost 10 two oldest are good swimmers my son it’s getting there going to swimming classes.
Am planning a salt water pool 4 feet on swallow and 7 feet on deep end
LED lights some automation
Heated, DE filter either Hayward or Pentair equipment. I priced out the material for doing 10 inch pour concrete even with a family discount from concrete company still comes out more. I helped build a cement block pool with an uncle in the Caribbean. So I have a good idea of what I will be doing just that here I will be using circulating system as to he had a fresh water river passing by. Am still waiting to hear back from building inspector office to find out if I need engineering plan. When I first called and asked someone there told me no, but again it wasn’t the inspector.

Duraleigh build is the perfect example of how I want to build my pool. I hate the feel of plaster pool something personals going with liner. Am located in Long Island New York. And yes the House came with a pool the was in really bad shape and like I mentioned before after super storm sandy it just got worse. Wife have even thought about filling it with dirt. Also kids are 4,6,and almost 10 two oldest are good swimmers my son it’s getting there going to swimming classes.
Am planning a salt water pool 4 feet on swallow and 7 feet on deep end
LED lights some automation
Heated, DE filter either Hayward or Pentair equipment. I priced out the material for doing 10 inch pour concrete even with a family discount from concrete company still comes out more. I helped build a cement block pool with an uncle in the Caribbean. So I have a good idea of what I will be doing just that here I will be using circulating system as to he had a fresh water river passing by. Am still waiting to hear back from building inspector office to find out if I need engineering plan. When I first called and asked someone there told me no, but again it wasn’t the inspector.

Heard back from inspector and since it’s not a pool kit they will require engineering plans. Every quote I have gotten been on the $2000. Does the seen too high?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
have you thought about just doing a steel wall pool kit? In the end its gonna be less labor and easier for you to install if you are going to DIY the job. If you have masons or laborers who are gonna do most of the grunt w the block pool thats a different story. I would bet you have a hard time getting engineering for a block pool. Whats gonna happen is they will want rebar in EVERY void of the block and EVERY block cavity filled as you lay the block on the base pad. By the time you are said and done it would be same money to rent forms and just pour the pool in one shot especially if its all right angles like and L shaped pool. Thats just my opinion

Thanks for the reply jimmy. The rectangle pool that there now is steel walls and am guess due to poor installation it has failed. I did compared steel wall kit, plastic panels, pour concrete and cement block build. The pour concrete just for the form rentals was way too much, plus tie straps. Also looked into build 3/4 plywood and make my own forms which didn’t make sense. Steel wall was out due it will rust over time and plastic was just about the same as cement blocks. I did find an engineering company the will be doing the plans not cheap but will be able to build it the way I want. Don’t really have plans to move no time soon. And the cement block work shouldn’t be too bad already build one with my uncle in the Dominican Republic.

There is something about a tile covered block pool that liner and gunite pools seriously lack. I spent lots of time in Morroco and the tile covered pools were painfully pretty. I say go for it!

Can you use a membrane like Schluter Kerdi for water proofing?

remember its not just the block. its the rebar, its the grout in every course, its the waterproofing layer, its the tile/plaster, they ALL add up. if you tile the pool the labor and material will be more than the pool kit w liner ready to go. the plastic panels are not much more than steel panels. it goes up fast and the engineering is already done. money wise you cant beat the overall cost. You can do a good size pool with high end equipment for around 10grand materials and then add the vermiculite floor. You cant do that with masonry when you add the cost of ALL the products and material needed to waterproof it. I get that you built a block pool in the DR but I bet you will be surprised at what the engineer is going to want done compared to what was done in the DR and the inspector is gonna want things done perfectly like your stamped plans, especially the fact this is going to be his first block pool he has ever seen. Dont forget that you have the task of removing the old pool and its footings, so make sure you take into account the new pool should be slightly bigger than old one and slightly deeper unless you are prepared to do some serious compacting to get back to 95% proctor ratings on your subsoils. good luck w whatever you end up choosing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.