Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Levels

Newbie question. When should I be measuring my chlorine levels, after the pump has run all day or in the morning before the pump comes on? Normally I run the pump from 7am-3pm. Most recent numbers are:

FC: 7
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 100
    CH: 350
    CYA: 70

I know the chlorine is a bit high but I started adding Borax. After I added 6 boxes I noticed that the chlorine level has been creeping up even though I have been dropping the output of the Jandy Aquapure.
    12000 gal IG plaster, SWCG, cartridge filter, Spillover Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

FC 7 isn't really high at 70CYA. I have 80CYA and keep my pool between 6 and 8. It keeps it crystal clear.

I measure mine after the pump has been running at least 30 min. If you measure in the morning, you might pick up a pocket where the chlorine has been busy and is used up. I generally sample about 8 inches down in front of the skimmer. Sampling near a return will have a higher FC and PH level because of the SWG.
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet