Pool still has algae present what am i doing wrong

Frezel

Jul 6, 2018
Doylestown, PA
So this is the second time i am SLAMming my pool this month. My CYA is 50(checked this 10x and three different peoples eyes) and my SLAM level was 20 based on that, i slammed the pool and checked the pool levels every 4 hours and adjusted the level according to the pool app as needed everyday. This went on for a week, my pool water is crystal clear, my CC = 0 however when i brush the pool i still get a green dust that you cant see with the eye till you sweep it. I sweep the pool daily, i let my lil shark vacuum run for hours, and the filter has been running on high for 24/7. Since i could not pass the over night Chlorine test i decided to up my shock level to 25 and this went on for a few more days and still every time i get home and brush the pool there is some (less now) green dust. i have back washed my filter almost daily, i am out of ideas and losing hope. All levels PH 7.2 ALK 90 were good. Almost out of solution to test with i am so sad :(

Difficult to pinpoint without more info. We do know that when the chlorine level is at it's proper level for the CYA, algae will be eliminated .... unless there is an undiscovered location of algae hiding somewhere. You could help us by updating your signature with all of your pool and equipment info so we know what you have to work with there. Also let us know if you have a pool light with a niche behind it, steps, ladders, or anything else in the water that may influence your SLAM.

i updated my signature, i also do not have any pool lights, i do have plastic stairs that when i get in the pool i use a cloth to wipe and scrub the steps with. The cya test is soooooo bad. I believe my cya is 50 i have done it so many times and my eye seems to stop it at 50. I feel like i should add like 10-20 points to this cya test and slam at that level to ensure i am not under dosing it. I hold the test kit down by my waist back against the sun and add drops till the black dot disappears so i dunno, someone here has to think of a way to make this test color changing they would become instantly rich when they sell their test kit lol

i do have plastic stairs that when i get in the pool i use a cloth to wipe and scrub the steps with.
I would pull those out of the pool if you can. See if you can unsnap the steps to look in them. Many others have found the steps to be full of algae.

As for the CYA test, yeah, it can be a challenge. Here are my notes if it helps:
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading. Finally, if you still doubt your own reading, have a friend do the test with you and compare results.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and low speed is fine for the pump. No need to be on high unless you are vacuuming or actually mixing chemicals.

- - - Updated - - -

How old is your filter and sand?

I would pull those out of the pool if you can. See if you can unsnap the steps to look in them. Many others have found the steps to be full of algae.

As for the CYA test, yeah, it can be a challenge. Here are my notes if it helps:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and low speed is fine for the pump. No need to be on high unless you are vacuuming or actually mixing chemicals.

- - - Updated - - -

How old is your filter and sand?

Holy &@&$_ So we never take out our steps they have a large opening at the bottom of them and they are a huge puffed piece of plastic that form steps. I pulled the steps up and when they got to the surface it was an explosion of dark swamp green water ! Holy &@&$+_ it must have been hiding in here all the time. I would clear the pool and the residual algae in ladder would probably seed the next bloom to come! Thank you so much for having me look here as I would have never to thought that.

Holy &@&$_ So we never take out our steps they have a large opening at the bottom of them and they are a huge puffed piece of plastic that form steps. I pulled the steps up and when they got to the surface it was an explosion of dark swamp green water ! Holy &@&$+_ it must have been hiding in here all the time.

Carrey.JPG

Hope that does the trick. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.