Hayward Tigershark/AquaVac Replacement Options

May 9, 2013
Winnipeg/Manitoba
I have a Hayward AquaVac (9726 model) about 5 years old. Started to give me problems this week and I have diagnosed it down to being the motor unit part # RCX40000DC. After pricing the replacement part and looking into replacing the whole robot I thought I would ask a couple of questions to forum members who may have felt my HAYWARD TIGERSHARK pains in a similar fashion in the past.

1. Do I just replace the motor unit (approx. $570 CDN)
2. Do I buy a new TIGERSHARK QC and use old as spare parts or sell off as spare parts (new unit cost approx. $1150 CDN delivered)
3. Do I buy something completely different?
a. Forum members seem to favor Dolphin products - S300i, Active 30i - how do these compare to the TigerShark motor strength and general pool navigation, how are these newer lighter smaller units holding up over time
b. The consensus is if you have the $$$ buy either the Dolphin M400 or M500 (not sure I want to spend $2000+ CDN). are these units worth it are they that much better and more advanced than the old Tiger Shark
c. What about the newer Dolphin Natualis Plus CC 2018 model... comparatively priced with the Tiger shark, does it compete in terms of motor and navigation.
d. best place to buy or source DOLPHIN products in Canada???

I am hesitant to buy another Hayward product and it sounds like motor failure is pretty common on these units post 3 year warranty period. The idea of spend $1000 every 3-5 years on a robot is maddening.

So I am looking to the forum for suggestions, experiences, those that have had the Tiger Shark and have either replaced the motor or have retired the unit and went a different direction what are your thoughts.

Thanks

I got my Tiger Shark before Hayward acquired AquaVac in 2007. I finally replaced it this summer because it started throwing ball bearings and i frankly got tired of replacing the various bearing wheels. The Tigershark served me well over the 12 seasons, with no major failures (i.e power supply, motor) but did replace several minor (although still rather expensive) parts like impellers, roller brushes, belts and filters. I did also have to replace the main housings a fews years ago so that's why the logo say's "Tiger Shark by Hayward". I didn't go with another Tiger Shark because i wanted a top loading basket and the reviews of the Hayward version of the TS was not as good as what I was seeing on the Maytronics S and Active series. The Active 30(i)/ S300(i) was the most appealing to me because of the longer cycle time, the additional filter basket insert, and the inclusion of the caddy.

After a couple of months using the Active 30i it does seem to clean as good as my Tiger Shark, but I do need to run the cycle a couple of times since it only runs for 2.5 hours, compared to the 6 or 7 hour cycle of the TS. Removing and cleaning the top loading basket is much easier than removing and cleaning the bottom loading filter cartridge of the TS. I didn't think that it would be much of a difference, but I definitely appreciate the ease of the top loading basket now. Although the Active 30i still gets stuck on my main drain it does free itself within 30 seconds or so every time where my TS would, more often than not, get hung up and I would need to pull on the cord to free it.
As for the bluetooth and MyMaytonic app, I really don't use it. I'm a throw it in (now you know why I needed a new housing for my TS) once or twice a week and let it run kind of guy, so I have no use for most of the advance functions like timers, weekly scheduling, special cleaning functions (floor only, walls only) etc. I probably could have gotten away with a Maytronics Active 30. Bottom line is that I am happy with the Active 30i and have my fingers crossed that it will be prove to be as reliable as my Tiger Shark.
cropped 20180626_203008.jpg

Laprjns - thx for the info. It’s nice to here from someone who owned the same unit.

I am considering the new Dolphin T45 which I can buy from an online store in Canada. Dolphin retailers are very sparse in Canada it seems. It think the t45 has the same specs as the 30 or S300 or in between them and the 30i S300i version.

Not happy that my TS only lasted 4 season but what can you do. Pools are a expensive luxuary i suppose.

You description of how you use it it the same as how I intend to use it as well. Throw it in and let it clean. I can’t see myself messing with timers and schedules or the bluetooth. In my mind kinda defeats the purpose of a cleaner if you have to stand by the pool and manually control it!

Does the s200 have the same brains and motor and strength of the S300 just without all the bells and wistles or do you compromise some other important features?

Thx

Well it looks like the S, Active and T series are the same cleaner, just differences in the available functions and accessories. The M series are different machines. Looking at this, if I were to do it over again, I would go with the S200.
The following infomation was complied from the available data on Maytronics USA website (maytronicsus.com)

Dolphin S200
Advanced Class
Dolphin Active 20
Advanced Class
Dolphin T35
Advanced Class
Dolphin S300
Deluxe Class
Dolphin Active 30
Deluxe Class
Dolphin T45
Deluxe Class
Dolphin S300i
Premium Class
Dolphin Active 30i
Premium Class
Dolphin T55i
Premium Class
Dolphin M400
Deluxe Class
Dolphin M500
Premium Class
Pool Attributes
Pool SizeUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 FtUp to 50 Ft
Pool ShapeOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, FreeformOval or Rectangle, Freeform
ObstaclesSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-UpsSteps, Ladder, Drain Cover, Ledges, Pop-Ups
SurfaceConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, FiberglassConcrete, Plaster, Gunite or Pebble, Tile, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass
Cleaning
Enhanced Cleaning CyclesNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneYesYesYesNone
Filter CleaningFine, Ultra FineFine, Ultra FineFine, Ultra FineFine, Ultra FineFine, Ultra FineFine, Ultra FineMulti-LayerMulti-LayerMulti-LayerFine, Ultra FineFine, Ultra Fine
Filter TypeTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop LoadTop Load
Cleaning CoverageFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, WaterlineFloors, Walls, Waterline
Cleaning Mode(s)StandardStandardStandardStandard, Quick CleanStandard, Quick CleanStandard, Quick CleanStandard, Quick Clean, EnhancedStandard, Quick Clean, EnhancedStandard, Quick Clean, EnhancedStandardStandard, Quick Clean, Enhanced
Cleaning Cycle(s)2 Hours2 Hours2 Hours1 and 2 Hours1 and 2 Hours1 and 2 Hours1.5 / 2 / 2.5 Hours1.5 / 2 / 2.5 Hours1.5 / 2 / 2.5 Hours2.5 Hours1.5, 2.5, 3.5 Hours
MobilityPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamPowerStreamCleverCleanCleverClean
Number of Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes2 Brushes3 Brushes3 Brushes
Active Brushes1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active1 Active
Connectivity & Automation
Remote OperationNoneNoneNoneMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone AppMyDolphin Smartphone App
BlueToothNoNoNoYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
MyDolphin AppNoNoNoYes, Navigation OnlyYes, Navigation OnlyYes, Navigation OnlyYes, Full-FeaturedYes, Full-FeaturedYes, Full-FeaturedYes, Navigation OnlyYes, Full-Featured
Automated Weekly TimerYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
DelayNoNoNoNoNoNoYesYesYesNoYes
Automation ModeYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Other
Full Bag IndicatorNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoYesYes
Cable Length60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft60 Ft
Anti-Tangling SwivelYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Warranty2 Year Limited2 Year Limited2 Year Limited2 Year Limited2 Year Limited2 Year Limited2 Year Full2 Year Full2 Year Full3 Year Full3 Year Full
Quick Water ReleaseYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesNoNo
Caddy IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded

Last edited:
Thx this is great info.

The 30/300/t45 appears to be the same unit. The weired spec to me is the 1/2 hour clean cycle only option. Almost all other units are either standard 2 hour or multiple 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 options.

How can say the t45 ors300 only have one cleaning cycle that is 1/2 hour only.

Am I reading this wrong?

They have two cycles, 1 hour and 2 hours. That threw me at first to. ( i edited the table to clarify it)

So to summaries,

Maytronics Advance Class
S200 = Active 20 = T35

Maytronics Deluxe Class
S300 = Active 30 = T45

Maytronics Premium Class
S300i = Active 30i = T55i

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.