New Hayward AQR15 and testing for salt

sivart

Apr 5, 2018
Grapevine, TX
I bought a brand new Hayward AQR15 and had it installed by a local pool professional yesterday. After installation, adding salt and adding CYA yesterday, he asked me to wait 24 hours to turn the salt system on so that all of the salt had a chance to dissolve completely. 24 hours later, the salt system ppm readout was 2200 (right where it was yesterday) and I turned the system to auto. After a few seconds, the readout climbed to 2300 and then the lights for Check Salt and Inspect Cell illuminated. So I think the system is saying that the salt level is too low for it to run properly and the cell is not doing anything. The system came with test strips for testing salt so I decided to test the salt with a strip and also take a sample up to Leslie's pool supply which they tested two different ways. Here are the four results I now have:

2300 - hayward aqr15 readout
3100 - test strip
3700 - one of the devices at leslies
2600 - the lamotte pen device at leslies

None of these values are close to each other so I've asked the installer exactly how many bags of salt were added so that I can calculate it that way.

Any idea why there would be such a variance when testing for salt?
Any idea which one is most likely to be accurate?

I'm worried there is a problem with the salt system right out of the gate which would be very annoying. I haven't tried powering the system off and back on yet, but I think I'll see what that does next. Any pointers appreciated.

A final thing to note - I also had the installer install a new primary pump. That has a suction side leak - most likely in one of the Jandy valves that is causing air to be pushed through the system. Could this air be affecting the Hayward salt readout? Zodiac is sending me new o-rings so it will be 1-4 days before I'll be able to fix that leak.

EDIT: I followed the instructions to recalibrate the AQR15, and it is now set to 3200 and says that it is generating. Hopefully that is the right level. After hitting the diagnostic button 5 times, it read 3300 and then dropped to 3200 and seemed to stay there so I set it at that level. If it is right, I guess the test strip wins the most accurate test method.

Thanks,
Travis

I have a Hayward swg. I go by the salt cell reading on the panel. Never had issues.
How much salt dis they add.
You can go to pool math and enter your pool info. Then enter zero on tbe now reading for salt and enter your target value.
At tge bottom it will show how much should be added

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.