Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black "gunk" in skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Black "gunk" in skimmer

There is thick, black "gunk" all at the water level in the skimmer. Hubby said it's from suntan oil and lotions. Is he right? I found out my neighbor uses only baby oil and she's been swimming in our pool. I'm putting a stop to that. NO BABY oil is allowed in the pool. In fact, I'd prefer no oils at all.
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

It probably is sun tan oil we have a young one we have to butter up like a ear of corn. I have found a scumbug will take care of most of it.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

3. Back To Top    #3

What is a scumbug?
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

A scunbug is like a sponge that you float in the skimmer or just let float in the pool. It collects up the scum, slime and grime in a pool or hot tub. It just looks like a sponge that is shaped like a bug. you have to clean every day just like your skimmer basket. I keep mine in the skimmer and it works for me. scumbug is the actual name of the one i use but there are others also
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know if you are using BBB or pucks but here is a testimonial ---- Prior to going BBB we had the black oily deposit inside the skimmer and also on the steps. The better half scrubbed the waterline weekly and did the skimmers and steps every day. The pool stores said it was pollution and lotion etc. and then proceeded to sell us stuff to clean the gunk off.

We switched to BBB last year after 4 years of the pool store nonsense. We lost the bathtub ring almost immediately. This spring I used 12 pucks to raise the CYA a bit and guess what, ------ the black gunk came back within a few days.

The CYA is now up where I want it, the pucks are gone and we're back to bleach ONLY. NO MORE BLACK GREASY GUNK!!!

Anybody want a half bucket of pucks cheap, send me a PM.
    In-Ground, Vinyl, 27038 Gallons, Fresh Water, CAT 2000 Controller, BBB, Haywood equipment with Perflex DE Filter, Homebrew Solar System (only works when the sun shines);)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Hamop78's post is a classic example of what BBB really does for you. It's not that it saves so much money, or makes taking care of your pool a breeze......it's purpose is to keep all the unwanted additives out of your pool.

You put in only what you need to keep your pool sparkling with the absolute, absolute minimum of side effects. Pool care becomes simpler because you don't have to counteract all the issues pool store products frequently add.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School