New Here - pool set up questions

Aug 15, 2018
San Diego
Hi all,,

We have a small pool that we'd like to keep up year around (San Diego, CA) water is expensive! That said, we want to get this right. I have a few questions:

1) should we seal the seams with quick seal or the like? If so, how do we do that?

2) is it normal to have condensation under the pool? We had an easy set pool that started leaking at the seam we set up the new metal frame to drain the water into. We moved the easy set pool out of the way then put the water back in the easy set while we set up the new pool. We only left the water over night but this morning while putting the water back into the easy set noticed condensation under the new pool. Is that normal?

3) should we put anything between the concrete and pool, other than the tarp?

Our 12x24 Intex Ultra Frame is set on a concrete slab. We used the interlocking floor mat fatigue pads from Harbor Frieght on the concrete. We then taped all the interlocking joints with gorilla tape. Between the fatigue mats and the pool liner we used a Gorilla pad. The floor is firm but not hard and between the tape and the Gorilla Pad we are unable to feel any seams either. This is just one way to do it....

It could be condensation if it is humid, but more likely small leak(s). You can do a bucket test to check if you are losing more water than evaporation. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with pool water and set it on your steps or hang it or something so the water level in the bucket is the same place as the water in the pool check in 12-24 hours to see if there is a loss in the pool.

Is the padding to soften the base or if there another purpose?

- - - Updated - - -

It could be condensation if it is humid, but more likely small leak(s). You can do a bucket test to check if you are losing more water than evaporation. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with pool water and set it on your steps or hang it or something so the water level in the bucket is the same place as the water in the pool check in 12-24 hours to see if there is a loss in the pool.

So we set the bucket outside the pool somewhere where the water level inside and outside the pool is the same? Sorry, I'm not understanding this test.

But I have a feeling it's a leak. We set up and the ground is pretty wet. The confusion is that the water seems to be under the tarp.

You set the bucket in the pool, so temps and other atmospheric conditions will match as best as possible then after time (12-24-longer?) you can tell if you are losing more water than just evaporation, because the pool will lose more than the bucket. You can set the bucket on another bucket or some non-sharp box or bin or whatever on the bottom of the pool so you can get the water in the bucket at the same level as the pool. Helps to have a thin bucket so you can see through it a bit - can also mark with a sharpie to see better.

Tarp looks like it is leaking too (they aren't 100% waterproof anyway).

Padding under pool serves two functions - as padding for comfort and also a degree of protection from punctures or wear from movement (edges).

I suspect you have one or more leaks from seeing that picture. I doubt you would get that much run-off from condensation. Probably more productive to get some goggles and start looking for holes than bothering with bucket test now. "First look around the entire pool surface for anything that looks suspect or unusual. If you see anything you can gently squirt a little food coloring in the area and see if it gets drawn into the place you think may be the leak ' the water should be calm, don't stir up the water while squirting, you are looking to see a tendril of the color being drawn into the leak."* If you absolutely can't find it you can drain the pool again and try holding the bottom up to a light source to find pin holes. Probably happened when you moved it but some of them just come defective that way. If it is just one or two, patch and be on your way. If there are a lot of holes or a seam you might want to try getting a replacement under warranty.

*quoted from from pool school

I greatly appreciate your reply. Thank you!

We noticed the water before we moved it and thought maybe it was condensation but then saw it after we set up again. I think it was just defective. We are going to call for a replacement.

You set the bucket in the pool, so temps and other atmospheric conditions will match as best as possible then after time (12-24-longer?) you can tell if you are losing more water than just evaporation, because the pool will lose more than the bucket. You can set the bucket on another bucket or some non-sharp box or bin or whatever on the bottom of the pool so you can get the water in the bucket at the same level as the pool. Helps to have a thin bucket so you can see through it a bit - can also mark with a sharpie to see better.

Tarp looks like it is leaking too (they aren't 100% waterproof anyway).

Padding under pool serves two functions - as padding for comfort and also a degree of protection from punctures or wear from movement (edges).

I suspect you have one or more leaks from seeing that picture. I doubt you would get that much run-off from condensation. Probably more productive to get some goggles and start looking for holes than bothering with bucket test now. "First look around the entire pool surface for anything that looks suspect or unusual. If you see anything you can gently squirt a little food coloring in the area and see if it gets drawn into the place you think may be the leak ' the water should be calm, don't stir up the water while squirting, you are looking to see a tendril of the color being drawn into the leak."* If you absolutely can't find it you can drain the pool again and try holding the bottom up to a light source to find pin holes. Probably happened when you moved it but some of them just come defective that way. If it is just one or two, patch and be on your way. If there are a lot of holes or a seam you might want to try getting a replacement under warranty.

*quoted from from pool school

If it is just one or two small holes it may be worth it to patch. Intex tends to run you around and may make you find and cut the bad spot out, send it in, and then I think they hit you for shipping too. If it is a seam or something really defective then of course worth it to get a replacement. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.