Filter and pump basket draining when off

Cylon

May 16, 2014
NYC
It rained alot the past couple of days so I had to take water out of my pool, I did so by backwashing the sand filter using the multi-port valve on top. Now I am hearing a gurgling/bubbling sound from the filter when I turn it off and it appears it is putting its water back in the pool and the pool pump gasket drains water as well.

When I turn it on, the pump basket fills with water and all the air is removed about a minute later and it works fine.

Any suggestions?

You have a leak somewhere. My first guess would be the multi-port valve spider gasket might be going bad. I say this because the problem started after you back washed. You might also make sure the handle seated down fully after you moved it back to the the "filter" position.

You have a leak somewhere. My first guess would be the multi-port valve spider gasket might be going bad. I say this because the problem started after you back washed. You might also make sure the handle seated down fully after you moved it back to the the "filter" position.

I would take apart the valve and see if the gasket is bad after I make sure the handle is seated down correctly?

To add more to the mystery, I realized I lost about 1/2" of water overnight so I went to my backwash hose and I see a constant drip coming from it when the pump is on. I am pretty sure something isnt right with the multi-port valve, the handle seems to be sitting correctly. I will have to open it up and take a look...what should I be looking for? I never opened it before.

To add more to the mystery, I realized I lost about 1/2" of water overnight so I went to my backwash hose and I see a constant drip coming from it when the pump is on. I am pretty sure something isnt right with the multi-port valve, the handle seems to be sitting correctly. I will have to open it up and take a look...what should I be looking for? I never opened it before.
Google "spider gasket" and you'll likely see hundreds of pictures of what you're looking for. There are also youtube videos that show how to take apart the valve and replace it. Look for a model number and you'll probably be able to find youre exact valve. By the way, watch the video and go buy the gasket and the glue before you reach for the screwdriver. Then you'll only have to take things apart once. The drip out the waste line is pretty definitive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.