Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: prevent water in skimmer in a closed pool

1. Back To Top    #1

prevent water in skimmer in a closed pool

We had one inch of rain and my skimmer is full of water.

How come we do not just cover the entire skimmer lid area with the sheet of plastic to keep water from going in entirely? Drape it in the pool & well beyond all sides of the skimmer lid.

Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: prevent water in skimmer in a closed pool

We need a little more info. Is your skimmer sealed from the pool with a skimmer door? And is your pool winterized?

If it's sealed from the pool with a door then covering the skimmer to keep the rain out seems like a good idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

They make Blow Through Extensions and Ultra Gizmos to seal skimmer plumbing and to protect against ice expansion.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I do cover my skimmer opening with a sheet of plastic just as you described. I also put the skimmer cover inside a gallon zip-lock bag and place it back over the opening (zip-lock helps it to seal tightly). I also place a bottle of pool anti-freeze in the skimmer with the cap loosened. If water does get in the skimmer and start to freeze it will crush bottle instead of cracking skimmer walls ( I hope!)

The water in the pool is lowered below the skimmer opening and kept lower all winter by running a sump pump I place in the pool when I close it.
    In ground 15 X 33 10,400 gal. Fiberglass
    Two Returns, Two main drains, One skimmer
    Aqua Logic SWG, Hayward TriStar 1.5HP
    Hayward C3025 (325 sq /ft) Cartirdge Filter
    Solar Heater (Details at http://www.bakerlabs.com/solar)

5. Back To Top    #5

I just cram my skimmer full of scrap closed-cell packing foam. Little room for water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    We need a little more info. Is your skimmer sealed from the pool with a skimmer door?
    That same flap that is present in summer
    And is your pool winterized?
    yes

If it's sealed from the pool with a door then covering the skimmer to keep the rain out seems like a good idea.
    Thanks to all, this helps me.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.