Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua-rite SWS cell installation, which way does it go.

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua-rite SWS cell installation, which way does it go.

I recently dumped my autopilot dig 220 after 6 yrs for $300 since the digital board went and it was going to cost $350 to replace. I bought the aqua-rite aqr-x296 arid climate one with a 15k cell. Looking at the instructions I could not find anywhere which way the cell should face. I know the flo sensor has an arrow facing where the flow should go but not the cell. It looks the same almost except one side is a bit bulgier. A pool store told me the bulgier side should be on the side where the return to the pool is. He did not seem very convincing plus he told me that they install the cell between the pump and the filter.Everywhere it tells you to install after the pump on the return to the pool. Any ideas rather than call goldline or hayward.
    Aqua-rite Aqr-x296 T3 15k
    Autopilot Dig-220/Sc-36(replaced)
    Inground pool 8.5k gallons
    Diamond Brite,built 2003
    DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua-rite SWS cell installation, which way does it go.

The cell can be installed in either direction. In fact, after installation, it can be reversed since the fittings are the same for both ends.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by yamilrx
    A pool store told me the bulgier side should be on the side where the return to the pool is. He did not seem very convincing plus he told me that they install the cell between the pump and the filter. Everywhere it tells you to install after the pump on the return to the pool.
    Mine is installed with "bulgier side" faced away from the return. mas985 has explained why it doesn't matter... Nor would I want the supply to my salt cell to consist of unfiltered water, so the pool store is wrong on that count, too. The installation manual says cell placement should be after the pump, filter and heater(s).
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

I figured either end should be ok but they should state that in the manual. Both fittings are the same size so it can be flipped.
    Diamond Brite,built 2003
    DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

...plus he told me that they install the cell between the pump and the filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    ...plus he told me that they install the cell between the pump and the filter.
    Does this mean I should call you? Off the subject someone or maybe its you used this same unique avatar on another website (gpsunderground.com) and I helped them with their gps Mio H610. Is that you.
    It seems like it does not mater which way the cell goes. With autopilot it is clearly labeled since it goes through the manifold.
    Diamond Brite,built 2003
    DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

No, that's a facepalm. In response to those guys telling you it should go between the pump and filter.

Follow Mas' and Polyvue's advice. Mount it after the filter (and heater if you've got one), and you can mount it in either direction.

8. Back To Top    #8

Spishex,

That's a classic! Love the photo.

Sean
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

9. Back To Top    #9

The official word from www.goldlinecontrols.com tech support is that the cell can go either way. The tech support person told me that people have been flipping it the opposite way after they clean the cell.
    Diamond Brite,built 2003
    DE filter