Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles coming from returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles coming from returns

Topic split off from this thread

Hi all, I am new to this forum and also new to pools. Our pool is a newly built and we turned on the SWG 09/05/09. We have an Aqua Rite SWG and I have noticed the same thing. I have more bubbles coming out of the closer returns and very few coming out of the furtherest. At times I have a cloudy milky stuff coming out of my closest jets however it clears up. At first I thought that I had busted pipes and air leaks however I confirmed not haveing air leaks as I loose about 2/16 " per day. I also notice that there are very small particles in the water when the pump is running. If I turn off the pump the water clears up. Is there anything I can do to reduce the bubbles short of turning off the SWG????

Thanks in advance
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG - Tiny Cloudy Bubbles coming from jets

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    Hi all, I am new to this forum and also new to pools. Our pool is a newly built and we turned on the SWG 09/05/09. We have an Aqua Rite SWG and I have noticed the same thing. I have more bubbles coming out of the closer returns and very few coming out of the furtherest. At times I have a cloudy milky stuff coming out of my closest jets however it clears up. At first I thought that I had busted pipes and air leaks however I confirmed not haveing air leaks as I loose about 2/16 " per day. I also notice that there are very small particles in the water when the pump is running. If I turn off the pump the water clears up. Is there anything I can do to reduce the bubbles short of turning off the SWG????
    Hi Brent,

You could try turning off the SWG for a bit to see if the bubbles/cloudy milk effect ceases. If it does, at least you know the source. From the thread above it appears that this is caused primarily by hydrogen bubbles at the SWG and is more pronounced with warmer water and low flow conditions. So, actions to reduce this effect would include less heating of the water, reducing pump speed (if that's possible with your pump), and turning off the SWG when swimming if the effect is off-putting to you or your guests.

EDIT Correction - Of possible actions to reduce cloudy bubbles at returns, I meant to suggest increasing pump speed, not reducing it. Link to the thread referenced above swg-tiny-cloudy-bubbles-coming-from-jets-t11567.html END-EDIT
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Bubbles coming from returns

Just to add another data point...

My SWG is made of clear plastic and when it is on, the water inside turns cloudy and white. By the time it exits the jets, it is not cloudy, but there are clearly bubbles coming out. Mostly from the closest jet, but I've seen it from one of the others too.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Bubbles coming from returns

Thanks lborne, I can finally put this to rest. What I notice when the SWG is running is the fact that the water is not clear. You can see fine patrilces, which are micro bubbles in the pool. All clears up when the pump is not running as the SWG comes on when the pump is running.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade