Mesh Covers - Need help deciding what to buy

Megarms

Dec 23, 2017
Eldersburg, MD
New pool and I need to buy a cover for the winter. I think I have it narrowed down to a 95% mesh cover, but can not decide what brand and whether or not to use a rectangular cover on my free form or to pay a bunch of extra money for a customer cover.

Option 1 - Loop Loc 95% mesh -
Roughly $2,050
Rate for 650 lbs
Drains 35 gallons per minute
Full 2 year warranty and then prorated for 15 years

Option 2 - Robelle Commercial 95% Mesh
Roughly $1,550
Rated for 415 lbs
Drains 35 gallons per minute
Full 2 year warranty and then prorated for 20 years

I am open to other options, but really do not know what I am looking for. While my pool is freeform, it is a fiberglass shell and so it is basically a rectangle pool with some very symmetrical curves in it. I have heard that rectangular covers are much more affordable, however that the manufactures warranties would be void if I put one on my free form pool.

Please help - Summer is half over already

CRESCENT COVE 35 - cutout sheet.jpg

We have used solid covers for years and considering a mesh cover. We were given one for free and think we would try it. It would be helpful not having the water sitting stagnant on the solid cover in the fall or spring with the rain, and the thaw of the snow on the cover. The solid cover has to be emptied regularly (I'm lazy sometimes and don't want to empty it in the cold weather). Also with the refill in the spring - free water.

The problem with mesh covers: the water drains into the pool. Once you've lowered the water level for winter closing, any rain and water on the cover would start to refill your pool, throw off your chem levels and possibly cause you to open to a green pool. Also if the water level gets too high before the deep freeze, you would have to lower your water levels again.

We seem to open to a clear green pool every spring anyway, so that's why we are considering trying it out.
Hope this helps.

We have used solid covers for years and considering a mesh cover. We were given one for free and think we would try it. It would be helpful not having the water sitting stagnant on the solid cover in the fall or spring with the rain, and the thaw of the snow on the cover. The solid cover has to be emptied regularly (I'm lazy sometimes and don't want to empty it in the cold weather). Also with the refill in the spring - free water.

The problem with mesh covers: the water drains into the pool. Once you've lowered the water level for winter closing, any rain and water on the cover would start to refill your pool, throw off your chem levels and possibly cause you to open to a green pool. Also if the water level gets too high before the deep freeze, you would have to lower your water levels again.

We seem to open to a clear green pool every spring anyway, so that's why we are considering trying it out.
Hope this helps.

I am ok with green. I am told that it only lasts a few days anyway. Just don't know if I need a high dollar custom fit cover or a $500 rectangular one. I really do not want to be drilling holes more than one time.

We usually have to replace our solid cover every 2-3 years since they get holes in them and the crud seeps into the pool. Depending on how much crud from the spring opening will determine if we replace it that year. Did I mention I am lazy?
Following TFP guidelines all season, we never have an algae bloom during the swim season, just at opening. (probably because of the holes in the cover. I'm a lazy pool owner, did I mention that? LOL)

Also another old thread explored different ways to hold down a cover instead of safety straps. The OP used pvc pipe instead of sandbags for a large pool, I think he did not want to drill holes in his deck.

Yeah, maybe.....but the quote the OP had was for $1500-$2000 for a cover! So one of Inyopools rectangle covers at $499.00 seems worth a try to me.

Your mileage may differ. ;)

Maddie :flower:

Thank you. I sent inyopools my measurements and asked for their opinions on rectangle vs custom. Pretty sure I know what answer I will get from them, but maybe they can get me a better price on a custom cover.

I went with one of those "hybrid" covers; Solid but for a small mesh drain in the center. I'm a little south of you, and our weather should be similar. Closing in early Nov, I drained the pool down 18", threw in a floatie with some chlorine pucks, and opened it in late May. The water level was just above halfway on the skimmer and there was some debris in the center of the pool under the mesh portion. One vacuuming and we were swimming in crystal clear water. The cover was just over $500 off the internet. Don't recall who I bought it from. I wouldn't worry about warranty, but if you're concerned, call River Pools and see what they say.

I went with one of those "hybrid" covers; Solid but for a small mesh drain in the center. I'm a little south of you, and our weather should be similar. Closing in early Nov, I drained the pool down 18", threw in a floatie with some chlorine pucks, and opened it in late May. The water level was just above halfway on the skimmer and there was some debris in the center of the pool under the mesh portion. One vacuuming and we were swimming in crystal clear water. The cover was just over $500 off the internet. Don't recall who I bought it from. I wouldn't worry about warranty, but if you're concerned, call River Pools and see what they say.

Yeah, River Pools wants $3100 for a cover. I think I will pass on them. They are a good company, but they want retail +++ on aftermarket items.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Megarms, you just answered the question I was going to ask River Pools. Does that price include the installation?

That was with full install (which would probably take them about 20 minutes). Too be fair, I believe I got them down to $2800, however I can have the same cover (Loop Loc 95% mesh) for around $2,000). To me, $800 seems like a lot to drill some holes, but then again, I do own my own drill.

Which pool did you end up having them install for you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.