Yet another "shocking" question!

May 30, 2009
Columbia, TN
Hello all! Quick question - I have read that algae growth slows drastically in water temps below 60 degrees. With algae already present, should the process of shocking go a lot quicker? I am trying to get my pool closed down :( I would like to get this done in the next week.

kdubya815 said:
Hello all! Quick question - I have read that algae growth slows drastically in water temps below 60 degrees. With algae already present, should the process of shocking go a lot quicker? I am trying to get my pool closed down :( I would like to get this done in the next week.
Algae may also grow slower due to less sun on the water... if you have been testing the water and know your CYA level, that's a start. Read these two links in Pool School to guide you in your efforts:

pool-school/defeating_algae

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

kw, ( :lol: )

I may not understand your question correctly but let me take a shot at it.

First, I am pleased that you noted "process" of shocking.....very good.

Generally, I think it's fair to say that less algae in your pool results in a quicker shock process. To complete the process, all the algae has to be killed and should also be filtered out as well. IT's fair to say that a really murky, green swamp would take longer to clear than just a little cloudiness. Importantly, it will take tons more chlorine to clear the murky, green pool.

In either case, what really makes the process go as quickly as possible is to replenish your FC as frequently as you can.

If your shock value is around 20ppm, the more hours you have your FC close to that 20ppm target, the quicker your process should go. Does that help?

All else equal, it will usually take longer to completely clear a pool of algae and cloudiness at cooler water temperatures. Though you are correct that the algae will grow more slowly, all chemical reactions will be slower including chlorine killing and especially clearing the algae from the pool. So assuming you were to hit the algae hard at full shock levels, the cooler temps would probably take longer to clear the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.