New fill and test results

Jul 18, 2017
Lakeland, TN
We had new plaster done last fall. Over the weekend we had to drain and have a stain worked on by the PB and it was finished filling today. Here is where I’m at now :

FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 40
CH: 50
CYA: 0 (have ordered some from eBay to arrive Friday)

have not not added salt yet as we believe the stain was caused by Clorox salt so I want to research salt before we add it this time.

Which should I work on first?

With new plaster, I would be careful about the calcium. It's quite low, and so is the TA. Your minimum recommendation is 350, and I would feel a lot better if it was at least closer to 250-300 to where perhaps a higher TA and pH could help to compensate. Low CH can cause the new plaster to leach out, so I would discuss that with your builder since they are obviously still working with you to resolve some issues. At this point I would recommend increasing CH to about 300, TA to 60, and keeping pH around that 7.5 mark for a while. If your local water is hard, you might get by with a CH of 250 for now and let the summer refills increase it. But you might wish to discus that with the builder as well.

As for the chlorine, that FC of 4 probably won't last long throughout the day with no CYA and the sun will steel it quickly. So continue to add bleach as needed to keep the FC between 2-3 ppm which is strong enough with no stabilizer. You may just have to add more frequently throughout the day until the package arrives.

Hope that helps. :)
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.