No-drain Acid bath to remove calcium scale?

Jul 16, 2017
San Juan Capo, CA
I have a 4 year old, 20,000 gal, gunite pool with dark gray plaster. When the pool was plastered the company told me to keep the pH on the higher end to prevent etching of the plaster which could affect the color. I am diligent in keeping my water in balance and have maintained the pool at a pH of 7.6 and a TA of 100-110. A couple of years ago I started noticing white spots and mottling. Thinking this was something leaching out of the plaster I kept the pH high. The embarrassing part is I never really paid attention to my CH. I am on well water and the CH out of the tap is 350-400. After 4 years of evaporation the pool has a CH of 800!! About 80 % of the pool is now covered in Calcium Scale, which I finally read up on and realized the mistake I made. About a month ago I lowered the pH to 7.0-7.2 with a TA of 70-80. I have already noticed some lessening of the scale and I have vigorously scrubbed some test spots with a brush and pool stone and that has worked but not practical for the entire pool.
I now realize I need to do an acid wash, but being in So Cal I want to avoid draining the pool. I have done some reading about No-Drain Acid Baths (Zero Alkalinity Treatment) on this site as well as others but I am finding conflicting information. My questions are:
  • Some sites recommend adding 4 gals of acid per 20,000 gals,others say add 10-12 gals. So is it better to use the lower acid amounts and treat for a longer period of time or use higher acid amounts for a shorter amount of time?
  • Should I monitor the pH level or is keeping the pool at zero TA all I need to worry about? If I need to monitor the pH, how do I do this as the tests only go to 6. (I use a Taylor test kit.)
  • Has anyone actually used this method with success?
  • Once the scale is removed does it stay in solution or is it suspended and then can be filtered out.

Once the scale is gone I will have a company come in and do a reverse osmosis treatment to prevent this issue in the future.
current test results:
pH - 7.0 / TA - 80 / FC - 4 / CH - >800 / CYA - 0 / Borate 20 / CSI -0.36 (I realize my CYA and Borate are deficient but I don't want to bring them up until I have the water treatment.)
I use liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, baking soda, borate as chemicals

Hello and welcome to our forum! :wave: Here at TFP we also refer to the no drain acid wash as the Zero Alkalinity Treatment as see here: The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment. The instructions on this page have been used many times, however it does require caution and careful attention. We have several plaster experts that can attest to its effectiveness and/or point out any cautions to be aware of. Take a look and let us know if you have any other questions.

This may be a profoundly stupid question...but here goes. I am about to start a Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment on my pool. There are areas of my pool which cannot be reached to brush (even with the pole fully extended) without me being in the pool. Is it safe to go into a pool with a TA of Zero and a pH of @ 4-5? I know it might be an irritant to the skin, but is it unsafe in another way?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.