Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This year when we opened we had a ton of organic staining on our walls, the pool store said we must have holes in our cover. So, we need a new cover. Our options are getting a cover like we had, or getting a safety cover. I'm hesitant to put a bunch of holes in my cement, but a safety cover seems like the way to go? Thoughts?

I just had the pool builder put on a safety cover last fall, it was expensive compared to the tarp cover, but as I look at it for over half the year I didnt want to look at the dirty leaf filled bunches up tarp cover anymore.
I don't know if a mesh type would increase your problem of organics staining as mine did seem to let more sediment thru. But they do make solid ones, and anything has to be better then looking at a pool closed with a tarp cover.

the appeal of looking at a safety cover all winter is good, but how does the holes/screws in the ground look when you are actually using the pool?

I notice them because I know they are there and every 2.5 to 3 feet, but I can't really see them when I am sitting on the patio and they don't bother me as they are not unsightly.
No one has ever asked "what are those" so I don't think they are out of place on a pool deck or really even noticeable.

You won't notice the deck holes and brass inserts really at all unless you stare at them. Most pools have them anyway. You will probably still get organic stains in your pool with a mesh cover. They will either blow under the edges or go through the mesh. You can put water bags around the edges to stop that part. A good mesh cover for your sized pool is probably upwards of $2k. Mine was $3500.

Mesh covers are safety covers. I think you mean a solid safety cover is your only option (or tarp) vs a mesh safety cover. Solid covers are quite heavy to move around if you plan to install/remove/store yourself.

I open to clear water every year with a mesh safety cover.

But if you are against a mesh safety cover, then a solid one is still much more attractive to look at over the winter than a tarp. Though both get the job done.

Mesh covers are safety covers. I think you mean a solid safety cover is your only option (or tarp) vs a mesh safety cover. Solid covers are quite heavy to move around if you plan to install/remove/store yourself.

I open to clear water every year with a mesh safety cover.

But if you are against a mesh safety cover, then a solid one is still much more attractive to look at over the winter than a tarp. Though both get the job done.

well, I'm right now trying to decide between safety cover and tarp, then I can move on to mesh vs solid. I'm more concerned about the holes all over my deck. I looked at all the pool pictures yesterday and didn't see any holes! Either, no one that posted their pool has a safety cover or, you really can't see them.

well, I'm right now trying to decide between safety cover and tarp, then I can move on to mesh vs solid. I'm more concerned about the holes all over my deck. I looked at all the pool pictures yesterday and didn't see any holes! Either, no one that posted their pool has a safety cover or, you really can't see them.

Its that you can’t really see them

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the sideways pic. There are two anchors in this pic. It’s the last thing I would ever think of paying attention to while at the pool. They are brass but tarnish to antique brass.

dbtgallery.php

It would be very helpful if you could elaborate on this point, as it seems to be your major hangup.

I'm hesitant to put a bunch of holes in my cement

So what's the actual concern here? Aesthetics? Stepping in them, affecting the integrity of the deck?

Before you decide you need to think about WHY you are hesitant, if you tell us that, we can confirm or deny the validity of such a concern.

I can't say I've ever talked to somekne who was concerned about the deck anchors. Maybe you're picturing something different than reality. You won't have "holes" on your deck. When the covers are installed, holes are drilled into the deck and and anchor is inserted. That anchor is a threaded sleeve with a bolt that can be screwed 'in' so that it is flush with the deck, and screwed 'out' so that it rises up above the deck and thats what you hook your cover on. There's no "holes" once the anchors are installed.

Some anchors are about the size of a Nickle or dime, and some. Have a ring around them (like a washer) just for astehtics. It depends on the type and finish of your deck, the cover manufacturere, etc.

So, what's your hesitation about this? Be specific! Don't just say "I don't want holes in my deck". Tell us your exact, specific concern. If you can't come up with anything, then that resolves your hesitation.

Cheers,
Joey

It would be very helpful if you could elaborate on this point, as it seems to be your major hangup.

So what's the actual concern here? Aesthetics? Stepping in them, affecting the integrity of the deck?

Before you decide you need to think about WHY you are hesitant, if you tell us that, we can confirm or deny the validity of such a concern.

I can't say I've ever talked to somekne who was concerned about the deck anchors. Maybe you're picturing something different than reality. You won't have "holes" on your deck. When the covers are installed, holes are drilled into the deck and and anchor is inserted. That anchor is a threaded sleeve with a bolt that can be screwed 'in' so that it is flush with the deck, and screwed 'out' so that it rises up above the deck and thats what you hook your cover on. There's no "holes" once the anchors are installed.

Some anchors are about the size of a Nickle or dime, and some. Have a ring around them (like a washer) just for astehtics. It depends on the type and finish of your deck, the cover manufacturere, etc.

So, what's your hesitation about this? Be specific! Don't just say "I don't want holes in my deck". Tell us your exact, specific concern. If you can't come up with anything, then that resolves your hesitation.

Cheers,
Joey

Yes aesthetics only. And I don’t have any amazing deck or anything. I guess I’m just worried about making it look worse. [emoji23]

I had cleaner water with a solid cover. I now have a safety mesh cover and it does allow more sediment in, but it doesn't let in leaves. The robot cleaned up the sediment. There was an inch of mud on it's filter and it took several cleanings to get it all cleared up. Two days at most.

If you had a hole in your tarp type winter cover I suspect you would have more than just stains. I know of a fellow who pumped off his tarp that had a hole. He left and came back to an empty caved in pool. Opps!!

As for the 51 holes in my deck.... Well I inherited them when we bought the house a year and a half ago. The previous owner had painted the 25 year old concrete.
When the holes were drilled large chips formed around the brass inserts showing bare concrete. I need to repair some spalling and repaint. Still, I really don't notice them as I am too busy swimming or cooking.

Yard Guard makes "Deck-creations" Safety Cover Protection Covers which snap into the anchors. They are fun and come in Seashell, Blowfish and Sunburst shapes.
They can be painted.

So $3500 for a mesh safety cover and installation. Or $500 for another tarp. Give me the reasons I should do a safety cover? If it lasts 20-25 years I’m still better off cost wise with buying a tarp every 5 years.

I had a solid tarp in Saskatchewan for 4 years and it was still going strong. It was older than that because it was already at the house when we arrived so add 1 more year. I did replace the water filled logs though.

The mesh safety cover [SC] was already here when we moved to Atlantic Canada.
To be honest I wouldn't have bought it. If I had to replace it I wouldn't spend the money. My custom SC shaped to fit cost closer to 5K [CAD]. It does look nicer but after it snows it doesn't matter. And the SC is a lot more work to put on. If you take care of it the SC it can last 15 years. Yard Guard's warranty is 12 years.
I put it on the SC in the cool temp after the leaves were done. If I did not warm the spring covers up they cracked. Yard Guard did replace them, however I suspect it will be an ongoing problem.

If you have trees in the area and if branches fall on the SC they can and do poke holes in it. Patches are available and so I have 3 patches.

Do you need the "safety" aspect? Or just a cover?

I’m not sure? The pool takes up the entire backyard so we avoid going back there at all when the pool is closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.