Upgrades for Intex 16' x32' Ultraframe - Shelf, Caddy, Ladder

Jun 19, 2018
alabama
So it's been a week since the last drop filled the pool. What a blast!!!! If anyone's on the fence about doing it, don't even hesitate. Couldn't be a better value and those midnight moonlit swims are priceless!

So, my Confer pool ladder arrived yesterday. What a breeze to assemble. Used some zip ties to help keep it stabilized, but honestly, it really doesn't require it. If I get serious, I'll drive something through the bottom of the outside lower step. I will probably put a deck in which there is an adapter kit for this ladder to convert to deck mount.

Used the idea of another forum member to make a pool shelf.
3/4" PVC and various connectors, a 24"x16" tote w/ lid. Perfect for holding drinks, bluetooth speaker, and can keep toys, vacuum, accessories safe. Added a couple of Tee's (unglued) to hold suits, goggles, whatever and a couple towel racks.
The other PVC is 1" and holds floaties, hoses, skimmer, towels, whatever you want. I left it totally unglued so I can swivel the Tee's as necessary. Friction tight seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the advise and ideas.

V2UXznm.jpg

LghYtZy.jpg

Looks great. Your PVC skills are strong :)
My suggestion for your next upgrade is a Hayward thru-wall skimmer. Then a bigger pump and sand filter. Can't go wrong getting the biggest pump you can.
If I had to do my skimmer over again, I would put it above the seam to get that extra inch of water depth. There is a post or two on doing that and would be worth your time. But even below the seam is fine, you splash the water down 2" below the max fill anyway. Good luck and enjoy your pool!

Looks great. Your PVC skills are strong :)
My suggestion for your next upgrade is a Hayward thru-wall skimmer. Then a bigger pump and sand filter. Can't go wrong getting the biggest pump you can.
If I had to do my skimmer over again, I would put it above the seam to get that extra inch of water depth. There is a post or two on doing that and would be worth your time. But even below the seam is fine, you splash the water down 2" below the max fill anyway. Good luck and enjoy your pool!

I'll get every penny out of this pump and when it dies I'll get a 1 hp variable speed with a salt cell. At that time I'll plumb in two returns and do the skimmer. It's funny you mentioned the skimmer through the seam. If/when I put one in I was thinking the same thing. I can't even imagine cutting an inch out of that would hurt anything. I am thinking about putting in some "splash guards" in the corners. Doesn't actually need to be sealed, just to help keep the waves from spilling out. I like the pool full. Even a 3" drop and the long walls start to move in a bit.

This week I'm going to put in a PVC fountain. Water temp is already 95deg. Felt like a bath.

I like the shelf idea. I was going to do one that hung off the pool, bit I'm going to steal your idea with the long legs and the clips. I'll use a piece of Optix plastic for the top and screw it into the pipe.

Originally I had the legs angled and braced, but wasn't nearly as sturdy so I just extended it down to the paver and scrap of wood. So much sturdier and it stays level. I was going to use a piece of plastic for the top until I found out just how expensive that stuff is. Over $30 for the 1/4" .... that bin was $13 and honestly, we can put anything on it and there is the benefit of small storage. Got it at Lowes.

Added a pool fountain this week. Water temps were above 96degs and felt like getting into a bath.

Cost less than $10. 3/4" PVC, some drilling, 1 1/4" x 3/4" Tee fit right into the Intex hose. No teflon tape, just hose clamps, no leaks. Was a tight fit, had to really work the hose ends on.

Run the sprinkler for 4 hours at night, drops it into high 80's. Water returns to 92 deg by end of day. Not too bad. Considerable evaporation though. About a half inch a day.

iOteQ4u.jpg

SwZcvYB.jpg

I second the skimmer. It's a fantastic upgrade and it makes vacuuming easier too.

Our most-used DIY feature is cupholders. 3" PVC with a cap glued to one end. We use double-sided Velcro straps to hold them to the uprights. Drill a couple holes in the caps for drainage.

They worked great on the round Intex, and surprisingly well on the rectangular too, despite the angled uprights.

I second the skimmer. It's a fantastic upgrade and it makes vacuuming easier too.

Our most-used DIY feature is cupholders. 3" PVC with a cap glued to one end. We use double-sided Velcro straps to hold them to the uprights. Drill a couple holes in the caps for drainage.

They worked great on the round Intex, and surprisingly well on the rectangular too, despite the angled uprights.

Love it. Back to Home Depot!!!

Thanks for all the ideas!!!! That looks great!! We just put up our 2nd 18X52 Intex Ultra frame and have had the same ladder as yours for almost 8 years! I had to zip tie mine as well. I do not remember how it came about, but the bottom step on the inside came off and I never put it back. It sure makes it easier to brush and vacuum without it and you can see any crud that gets under there. This time I am gonna use some 303 Protectant on the vinyl on the top rails to help with the sun damage. My original pool would still be around except the Texas sun ate up the vinyl and it started to split. Yours looks great and I hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.