Intex 32x16x54 partial in ground installation

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
Ok, I had debated even starting a thread for fear something would go terribly wrong, but the lack of info on these pools pushed me to it. This started around April 2017, bought the pool & had the hole dug. Had a lot of other stuff going on, so that was pretty much all we got done last year. Got a late start this year, but it’s getting done. Got the same guy that dug the hole out to come level for us. I think the hole is about 2.5 feet. Also had him dig the trench for the electric, even though I’m not positive it’s going to get done this year. We live in a small town that has no permits or requirements, etc, but I wanted it done simply for safety, etc. I have already bought everything to do the electric, it’s just not something I’m comfortable with. Was planning to use 16x8x4 inch pavers to go under each leg, but the night before we started the install, I came across a post here where someone was explaining the reasoning for using pressure treated wood. So the next day, I had my brother go get us a bunch of pressure treated 12x2’s. This is where we’re at now. We need to get all the wood buried down to match the 1/2 inch foam we put down. Then we can start filling. We had about 3 inches in from the rain over the past week, but there were too many wrinkles, so we pumped it out yesterday so we can smooth them today. I was planning to get the deck done about two weeks after the pool is filled, but due to some unexpected dental work, that may have to wait. (Playing with my dog, her tail smacked me right in my two front teeth & killed them, no joke) Here are the pics we have so far. Forgive me, I didn’t do a great job of capturing the progress.

If it's not too late, I recommend the 16x8x4 pavers and so do a lot of people. I'm not sure what reason anyone could possibly for preferring 2" thick wood over 4" thick concrete, but it will probably work out for you!
Make sure that pool is level!!!!! Within 1 inch from end to end. That is the most important thing.

The reason why people might prefer the wood is the grain structure makes wood less likely to fracture if the ground settles at a different rate. The wood will continue to spread the load over the entire surface area. The concrete block will just break.

Just a follow up. Intex specifies a 15" x 15" pressure treated wood pad under each u-shaped support. That's 225 sq. inches. A 8" x 16" concrete block, whether 2" or 4" is 128 sq in. surface area.
That means you're doubling the concentration of weight on each pad. How important is this? A lot depends on your soil type, the natural terrain (does water collect around the pool, etc.)
Intex does say as an alternative you can use steep pads or reinforced tiles.
If your going to use concrete blocks you need two per u-shaped support.
Since even a 2x12 is only 11" a single piece of wood still isn't meeting the criteria Intex specifies.
I used 3- 2" x 6" x 15" pieces laid perpendicular to the u-shaped support.
The design of the Intex pool puts a lot more weight on the legs than a round or traditional AGP.
And remember when you're digging to place those blocks flush with the ground, that footings need to be placed on undisturbed soil. If you use 2" dimensional wood (1.5") and then use 1" or 1.5" foam under the liner, you don't need to dig at all.

Sorry guys, I had to take a ‘pool break’ before it gave me a mental break. Our install has been a complete nightmare. My gratitude for TFP canNOT be measured, I never would have made it this far without you guys. I still can’t figure out how to post more than one picture at a time though. This is when it was a swampy mess, after the neighbors yard guy left his hose on going straight to our hole. We used lime to dry it out, which worked beyond what I expected 6BAF5E8F-FB70-4194-BAA5-39558720AD6D.jpg

Attachments

• D5FB1F1E-983F-4060-8BF0-101EF48D352C.jpg
    D5FB1F1E-983F-4060-8BF0-101EF48D352C.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 182
Very frustrating after this because I knew there was absolutely no way we could level it ourselves after this. Got a couple quotes on leveling the ground, $1200 & $1800. Nope. Then I ran into the guy that had dug the hole out for us last year. It had never occurred to me to ask him! Thank you, Roberto. $200 to level the area & $100 to dig the trench for the electric. 0AC7DA2C-73C6-4E7B-B4C4-00AD65D5718C.jpg508E50CF-64F7-4D2A-94C5-7CAF79061185.jpg

Attachments

• D5FB1F1E-983F-4060-8BF0-101EF48D352C.jpg
    D5FB1F1E-983F-4060-8BF0-101EF48D352C.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 171
Anyone know why that one picture keeps attaching itself? Anyway, on with the show...
The weekend after it was leveled, everyone was all for helping(that lasted half a day until they saw how much work it was)

- - - Updated - - -

This is how far everyone else made it before they quit on us.

Attachments

• 0001FEB9-0F89-4FD8-B2B2-5794732181F8.jpeg
    0001FEB9-0F89-4FD8-B2B2-5794732181F8.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please don’t judge our trashed yard. It was pretty before this started. I promise.

After everyone bailed & it & it was just me, my 16 year old daughter & the 16 year old neighbor boy, I realized the legs on the back side weren’t close enough to the middle of the boards, so we attempted to move it down a few inches. Did I mention while everyone was here & I was saying it needs to be in the middle according to TFP, I was told I was being too picky? At this point I was glad they bailed, when it’s your 4 grand on the line, then let’s talk about picky.
After we attempted to move it, this happened.
1D873FB3-4FD0-4008-BE02-FF1DD1C47424.jpg

This took me a good week to get over. After pricing a new liner at $600, & having no help, I was ready to set it on fire. Did I mention just as we had started our pool build I had run out of my blood pressure medicine?
At this point I had decided, we’ll go ahead & get it up this year, then we’ll take it down for the winter & probably get a new liner in the spring. But the thought of going through all of this again next year literally made me sick to my stomach. So after researching & asking for advice here, I patched it with gorilla tape & JB Weld. Seems to be working. I also built up under the liner in that corner. The legs are still level, but the liner isn’t pulling as much.
Then we started with the pump, filter & SWG. Another headache...
some pieces were missing, some were broken & of course, since I bought the pool last year, none of it was warrantied.
53AC576F-6823-4DEE-9B29-B292250E800E.jpg

So I decided to take from our deck fund & go ahead & order the Hayward sand filter & pump & SWG. We proceeded with filling the pool bc I knew it was gonna take a few days since I was only filling it when I was home and awake. We used the trash bag method to smooth the bottom. It didn’t help as much as I had hoped. We still have wrinkles, not a lot, but we do have them. The SugarBaby loves the giant tub.
6FF1E108-67F0-4538-8B9F-274AE3448EA8.jpg
BF874986-B8D3-4BE1-902B-E7BB4A2E5065.jpg

Sorry, guys. I was having issues with posting pictures. I think I have it figured out now.
Moving on.... a few days before the new equipment was supposed to arrive, I notice the back board was standing up bc the legs hadn’t been perfectly centered. This picture is after I’d drained most of the pool. It was much worse than this.
CFF80846-595F-4D8D-A02D-98FF9FE45CC2.jpg

So now we’re all caught up. Refilling now & going ahead with the hard plumbing. Still debating on whether I’m going to get a new liner next year. I really wanted to go ahead & get the deck done this fall so we have it all complete next year:confused:

We still have quite a way to go to get to the backyard oasis that’s in my head, but we’re getting there. I was kinda worried on our second fill bc there were quite a few storms & we ended up with a lot of dirt in the bottom. But look at that perfectly crystal clear water all thanks to Trouble Free Pool!
1733881E-E417-4A40-9EF5-A13EE568C433.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.