Season opened properly thanks to TFP

Jun 23, 2018
Fremont, CA
Hi,
A newbie pool owner. Here's my story.

19k gal with spa. After I've bought a house I noticed pool doesn't go green for weeks even though I didn't add any chlorine to it. It also had 20 ppm of FC. Was unsure if I can let my daughter swim there (also found some rather obscure chemicals from the previous owner) so I went to Leslie's and they've measured CH at 600 and CYA at 200+. That was weird and I decided to find a second opinion on internets.
And found this forum. Bought a Taylor kit, measured CYA at around 300 (dilution 1/4) and wasn't very happy with it.
Then shortly bought a 40x60 tarp, a submersible pump, measured tap water CH and carefully dumped 90% of water to the sewer while replacing with new water on the top. The reason for the tarp was old plaster, unknown water table level and faster process.
tarp_method.jpg
The result was immediately CH 180/CYA 35. Fixed the balance with just one gal of HCl and slammed the pool.
Switched to BBB and now enjoy my pool every day. After reading the forum also thinking about switching to a SWCG system.
Still working on lowering TA but it'll take time.

Thanks forum!

Outstanding!
dbtgallery.php