Chlorine Dioxide to kill Bacteria, including Cryptosporidium

George D

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2017
Bellmore, NY
I have read several informative comments about harmful bacteria, such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia and the fact that Chlorine does not kill it or does so very slowly. Since then I was thinking what if someone has an accident in my pool and I would have to wait days or weeks to remove all the bacteria from the human feces. Richard has some great advice on this. Richard (Chem Geek) recommended Chlorine Dioxide or Hydroxan. I called up Automated Aquatics, located in Canada and they only sell Hydroxan in bulk, (minimum $700) so not a good option. There is a chemist who sells "Clean Pool Sodium Chlorite" in Amazon, 2 lbs. for $65.
I sent him the following message and his response is below that.

"I have a few questions about the Clean Pool Sodium Chlorite 80% 2lbs NaClO2 Odorless Chlorine 870g. I have my own pool and if someone has an accident in the pool, I have read that chlorine does not kill Cryptosporidium, caused by human feces but Chlorine Dioxide does.
Is your product equivalent to Chorine Dioxide and does it kill Crypto in the pool, within 8 hours?
Is it true that this must be used after sunset as the UV rays from the sun will destroy it?
Does your product contain 80% Sodium Chlorite?
What is the best way to add this to the pool?
Does it take 3-6 weeks for delivery to New York, USA?"

Response- "Sodium Chlorite is the sodium salt of the chlorine dioxide. Yes, it kills all parasites including Cryptosporidium. Once used you have to wait 8 hours for the treatment. UV rays are also antibacterial and can be a good preparation before using Sodium Chlorite. You can solve (I guess he meant dissolve) in a bowl of water (pure, Deionized water suggested) then apply to the pool. It takes 10-20 days to USA."

Isn't it a good idea to have Chlorine Dioxide as a backup to kill Bacteria which regular Clhlorine/Bleach, cannot?
Does anyone have any experience using Chlorine Dioxide? Richard mentioned that it is not FDA approved but it is still a better option, rather than super shocking your pool until the bacteria is killed.

Someone with more chemistry experience can answer to the ClO2 situation, but about Crypto:

Unless someone has a loose bowel then there is not much, if any risk for Crypto. A solid BM is not one that is likely to harbor this disease given that one of the symptoms are loose bowels. Really, there is very little concern of Crypto for a residential pool. So worrying about always having a chemical that can kill Crypto on hand is a bit alarmist. Rather than a good idea I consider it an overreaction.

Now, if you run a public pool or regularly have people over that you don't trust, then perhaps. But again, whether ClO2 is a reasonable solution to this possibility I cannot comment as I am not a chemist.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.