New pool owner / combined chlorine level?

Avitron

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Woodbury, MN
Hi all,
new home and pool owner. Love this website, I come here all the time and can’t get enough!
i have been playing with the water balance for the last week and seem to be in a good spot.
However, whenever I test for combined chlorine using the Taylor K-2006 kit, I can’t seem to get the combined chlorine less than 0.5 ppm. I did the shock/SLAM thing last week because I got a high combined chlorine level and a week later it’s still testing at 0.5. Is this just a sensitivity issue with the test? Most of the articles I’ve read her say there should be 0 CC in the pool Is this something I need to worry about? Many thanks in advance!

What are you latest full test results? I will say that I usually have 0 CC in my tests which I'll do every couple days. With sun hitting the pool, it should be taking care of the CC. Are you getting .5 CC in the mornings and afternoons? I don't know for sure if reagent age could cause this. How old are the CL reagents?

Hi, welcome to TFP! CC is constantly being created and destroyed in the oxidation process. The FC oxidizes organic material in the pool and the byproduct is CC. High CC levels mean some heavy duty oxidation is taking place! A .5 CC level is nothing to worry about. If you swim every day or have organic matter, such as leaves frequently drop in the pool then I would not be surprised to see .5 CC on a regular basis. Another factor is covering the pool. If you keep your pool covered when it is not in use then it is more difficult for the CC to outgas as part of the oxidation process. Uncovering the pool will help with that process.

Thank you for the responses! That is helpful information. I inherited the test kit from the previous owner so perhaps it is time to replace the reagents.
Also I do keep the pool cover closed most of the time so I will start to open it more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.