Wooded lot with constant debris on bottom of pool

Wadeod

Jul 23, 2017
Granger, In
New pool owner with pool in a heavy tree area. Lots of shade is nice. But there’s always a little debris at bottom of pool after it’s been open a few hours.

In between dolphin pool cleanings is there a way to get the debris off bottom easily when I’m in pool? I usually put on my goggles and start diving with my big ol skimmer Head.

I just bought a litte 4 inch aquarium net which I think will be better.

But it I feel like their needs to be some little hand held rechargeable thingy that I could dive with and spot suction the bottom as needed

anyone else out there with trees have suggestions?

I have the same, wooded lot with lots of debris. EVERY. DAY. It’s not just during the fall, it’s also pollen, storms, and stuff that lives in the trees, ie. squirrels. Around August/September when the acorns are ripe the squirrels purposefully sit above us chewing on acorns and dropping them on our heads in the pool. I know this because they told me ;)

If you want a constant spotless pool, my 8 years experience with it has taught me to give it up. Let yourself have fun and be ok with a little junk down there. That doesn’t mean I don’t try but I will tell you it will get old after a while.

Here’s what I do to limit the junk:

1) Pool Blaster vacuum, as another reply had mentioned the catfish. I have one as well but not the catfish, a different one I think they call it Pool Blaster Max. It works well and is rechargeable. It also has a small bag to pick up the debris and filter what goes through so good for small jobs but not anything more than a few leaves really. I’ve owned 4 of them now so clearly I like them but, did I say I owned 4?! They have only lasted to just right past the one-year warranty mark so take really good care of them like a baby, and maybe you’ll squeeze out a little more. The last one I purchased this year has an updated charging mechanism keeping it safe from water leaking in, hoping this one lasts longer than a year.

2) Pool Blaster Leaf Blaster (formerly the “Leaf Demon”). This runs on 8 AA batteries and comes with a net that is a little smaller than a leaf net. Read reviews on Amazon they’re not good but, I saw a demo of the thing on YouTube and had to try it. I’ve used it 3 times so far and works great but I am taking my chances on how long it will last. I lube up outside the battery compartment and motor housing before each use. This is a giant pain but, it’s kept the water out. I didn’t do it the first time and opened up the battery compartment afterwards and water poured out. My advice, you may invest because you’ll need it in the fall, lube it up really well and take out the batteries after each use to ensure water did not leak in.

3) purchase a leaf net if you haven’t already, one that attaches to a pole.

4) If you like to swim later in the season, in the fall, get yourself a leaf net that covers the whole pool and anchor it. Pull this over at night time and it will save a lot of heartache in the morning.

5) automatic cover - if I had to do the install process all over again I would have invested. We have a retaining wall half way around our pool so without taking it down, installing one now is not an option.

I hope it’s a little helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I think of anything else will surely let you know.

Good luck!

Only so much you cna do. I tend to use the Leaf Rake and drag along the bottom to get the big stuff before I jump in, since that only takes me about 3-5 minutes to go over the whole pool, but it is a loosing battle. Concentrate on thigns you can control like keeping your water clear, and go from there.

I feel for you men that are the "pool guys" that have to keep your pool clean and have a massive influx of debris. The issue w the squirrels and acorns would drive me crazy. That's just not right. And since this is a family forum, and really can't tell you how I'd handle that one, and I am an animal lover.

The key for leaves is getting them before they sink. They make the devices that goes into your pool that rests on the water line and attaches to your skimmer and angles the leaves into the skimmer basket. You just have to have someone to empty the skimmers often - better than the bottom. Also, set and angle your returns to push floating debris into your skimmers. Other than allowing your nbors to remove tree branches that hang over your pool or are in the prevailing winds that drop X into your pool, it's a constant battle.

Wish you all the best,
tstex

I agree w you in an immediate pool area, but outside of that range trees are one of our greatest assets.

Bought a ranch in NE Colorado County Texas, mainly bc of the live oaks. If I ever put in a pool there, I would surely make sure it was in a tree free zone of leaf exfoliation. As duly noted, it's a prepool owners responsibility to design and build a pool that already doesn't have a forest on top of them; if so, you have to adapt.

Best of luck to all,
tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.