What not to do when glueing PVC

May 13, 2018
Canada
Just wanted to warn anyone who has their pump down lower than pool water. If you PVC glue the pipes, then fill the pool to test it. When you open the valve, make sure your head is not over top the pump watching the pump basket fill with water or you will get a large dose of glue fumes in the face!! it's not fun and the high is not a good one. :(
So yeah.. don't do that.

You are definitely not the only one to do that, lol :mrgreen:

Sadly I've done that twice now, when initially filling, and when redoing my PVC to accommodate a SWG. Evidently I did not learn the first time, lol. :brickwall:

I'm not a plumber, but I've glued up quite a lot of PVC. I've learned (the hard way, and more then once) that if I don't cap the primer after every use, I WILL knock over the can. It simply does not come out of anything. Here's to life experience!

I'm not a plumber, but I've glued up quite a lot of PVC. I've learned (the hard way, and more then once) that if I don't cap the primer after every use, I WILL knock over the can. It simply does not come out of anything. Here's to life experience!

I recently watched about $10 worth of glue dry on the ground using the knock the can over method :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guardian et al. Are you sure you did not enjoy the high??? You must realise that you have to continuously repeat this effort to achieve a continuous satisfaction of the high.

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea to also keep the glue and primer off your skin by using protective gloves etc.

MEK is commonly used which is pretty nasty.

In the world of solvents, MEK is considered to be quite benign and green lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, and with all my plumbing escapades, I now always make sure the cans are closed using a wrench. Not a plumber, but that stuff just loves to spread purple.

Did I remember this right? That there are clear PVC primers. And that color is added primarily for building inspectors, so that you can prove you used primer when they inspect your PVC plumbing. (And/or so us older folk can remember 5 minutes later that we just used it!!) Point being, if you tend to spill it (as we all do), switch to clear.

I also have a recollection... That MEK is, in fact, a pretty nasty brew, in terms of both short term and long term exposure. And that it would be, uh, let's just say a disservice to TFP readers to associate that material with the word benign. (IMO.)

Has that stuff been proven trustworthy? I've never tried it, suspicious of it.

You probably use that conditioner-and-shampoo-in-one, too, don't you!? ;)

Well, none of the PVC connections I've made for my pool have leaked yet in a year, so it works for my purposes at least.

And I don't use conditioner, lol. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Now watch, I've jinxed myself and when I get up tomorrow, every darn connector on my pool's PVC pipes are gonna be spraying water everywhere, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.