Continual cloudy water

Apr 29, 2014
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am new to this whole posting thing. Have a 4 yr old pool but this is the first yr trying to take care of it myself. Sent daughter to get water tested (a 15 mile drive one way). She came home with a box full of chemicals. The pre season sale was going on and they looked back at what we had purchased last year and sold her this years worth since they were on sale.3 bottles of calcium plus, 2 bottles of alkalinity plus, phosphate remover, 3 bottles of pool plus, gallons of pool shock, pool blue clarifier ( have not even touched some of chemicals and they do not accept return on chemicals) The water had been very cloudy (not able to see the bottom) . She is satisfied says it's not green, it does not stink, it's ok. I want it clear, and have been working to get it there by reading up at your site. At one time after I used a flocculant could see the bottom and vacum to waste. Have done this at least three times taking the water level down to bottom of the skimmer and then refilling with fresh water. We use a floating chlorine tablet dispenser. 3" tablets are trichloroethane-s-triazinetrione99%. Pool shock used at first also has that chemical present and one has dichloro-s-triazinetrione. CYA was way high before but now at least it is on the chart at 100. Do I just keep trying to replace water and should I stop using those chlorine tabs and go strictly liquid chlorine. Today's test results: FC-4;CC-0; pH-7.4; Alkalinity150; Calcium hardness-225; CYA-100

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, definitely remove the chlorine tablets. They are increasing your already very high CYA level and you'll never be able to keep enough chlorine in the water to balance it out. So before you waste any product in the water (that you have to drain anyways), exchange the water then post a new set of test results from your K-2006 test kit. Once you get that CYA back down to let's say about 50 or so, then we can fine-tune everything else and help you get that water crystal clear again. :)

Do I just keep trying to replace water and should I stop using those chlorine tabs and go strictly liquid chlorine.
That is the beginning of a solution. And while you're draining and replacing, you need to maintain pH and FC levels. It's going to be quite a balancing act. The more you can replace at one time, the better. Once the CYA is down to a reasonable number, then it should be a quick job to balance the rest and clear the water. TFP water is crystal clear and sparkling, doesn't smell, doesn't dry the skin or burn the eyes. A week or so of having that and your daughter will no longer be satisfied with anything less.

Oh, and Welcome! :wave:

You're probably going to burn through a lot of the CYA and FC/CC reagents until this thing is straightened out. I suggest ordering refills before you run out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.