CYA crystals clogging baskets

May 13, 2018
Canada
This is my first time owning a pool and first season trying to open it.
The package of stabilizer said put in skimmer, so i did. There are cystals now kinda sitting clogging skimmer basket and some got into my pool pump and are starting to clog up that basket.
What do i do??

They'll dissolve, that is temporary and nothing to be alarmed about. Keep the filter running 24/7 and don't backwash for at least 48 hours. You can use your fingers to push it around so it's not clogging the skimmer basket.

The package of stabilizer said put in skimmer, so i did.
Unfortunately not the way we would recommend adding granule stabilizer. Anything that has accumulated and combined together would need to be broken-free from the skimmer or strainer baskets. It will probably join the rest of the stabilizer in the sand and remain there for a while until it dissolves or you backwash it out. In the future, you might refer to this:
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

dbtgallery.php

Liquid stabilizer is much more expensive, and it tends to separate if it has been on the shelf too long. Once all the crystals have dissolved you should be fine. Just keep the pump going. Oh and do not wait 24 hours to add bleach. Just assume the amount of CYA you added is active, say if you were shooting for 30 ppm assume you now have 30ppm and use that to determine how much bleach to add in PoolMath.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.