Bronze Supporter
Oct 21, 2017
Jacksonville, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Alright, so we're installing a fence around our IG pool. Backdoor goes to pergola covered patio, patio goes to pool sidewalk. Pergola posts will be used as fence posts and 8' double gate (4' gates x 2) will put in between the pergola posts. It appears the previous owner and/or contractor wasn't too concerned about centering and symmetry when installing the patio, pergola, and/or pool sidewalk. It seems there is no good way to center the gates.

Option 1: Center w/ pergola
This makes the most sense to me but the pergola offsets to left (when at back door) and it wouldn't line up w/ the patio line. The pergola's curtain rods directly above where the gates will be are centered this way (if that matters).

Option 2: Center w/ pool sidewalk
This seems like it would look the most centered but that does not appear to be case (after I moved the patio furniture away). This also would not line up with the patio line.

Option 3: Center w/ back door and patio line
Offsets to right (when at backdoor) and right door would hit pergola posts when completely open

Another option I haven't thought of?

What do you all think? Picture below of measurements plus all 3 options w/ 8' pole and 4' broom stick to simulate gates. PS we are more concerned about how it looks from the house side more so than how it looks from the pool side.

Measurements and best drawing ever:

3uy7clk.jpg
[/IMG]

Option 1: Centered w/ pergola

5uimOLb.jpg
[/IMG]
iLNWtBF.jpg
[/IMG]

Option 2: Centered w/ pool sidewalk

ZGm8Jpu.jpg
[/IMG]

Qx5HOmn.jpg
[/IMG]

Option 3: Centered w/ back door and patio line

8qJGvHO.jpg
[/IMG]
xUWvoNw.jpg
[/IMG]

If your numbers are correct, you have 210" between the pergola posts. Your gates will use up 96" of that. Assuming your gates will fold all the way back on the fences from which they hang, (and I'd want them to if they were mine, so that they were most out of the way during "pool time"), then that leaves just 18", or 9" on each side, possibly less depending on what the hinges and latches are taking up. If the gate is not centered in the pergola, then one gate will be banging into the post when it's all the way open, the other not.

That's practically-speaking. Aesthetically, visually, if you're after "centered," then you'd use the pergola posts, not the back door, or cement or any lines in the cement or curtain rods or anything else. The posts define the visual window. They are the frame. Nothing else is stronger, visually, then they are. If you center to anything else, the posts will dominate and make the gates look off-center. No one but you will see it any other way.

That said...

Will the fence extend out from the other side of the posts in the same line? This is what I'd do: I'd see if I could have the gates work double-fold-style (you've seen bi-fold doors on closets): four equal width sections that hinge in such a way that they fold up on themselves and end up flat along the fence, outside of the pergola poles, which would open up the entire pergola to the pool. Otherwise, as people lounge and sit and BBQ under the pergola, they're going to have to look through this eight-foot opening and two four foot sections of two layers of gate to view the pool. Doesn't sound as nice as having that entire span between the poles wide open...

You could use something like these, along the gates, to anchor the sections in, so that when you want to just walk through to the pool, you can open just one section of the gate structure, without having to deal with the whole thing. But then you can pull up the pins and open the four sections all the way, when it's "party time."

Alternately, you could have two, or even one, sliding gate, that slides left or right to open up that whole area. Slide it a few feet to get by, slide it all the way to open it all up. You could even motorize it if you wanted to. Something like this:

sliding gate.jpeg

Or accordion-style, so when opened it would fold up to a foot or two thing:

accodian gate.jpeg

Not what you asked, but that's never stopped me before! ;)

If your numbers are correct, you have 210" between the pergola posts. Your gates will use up 96" of that. Assuming your gates will fold all the way back on the fences from which they hang, (and I'd want them to if they were mine, so that they were most out of the way during "pool time"), then that leaves just 18", or 9" on each side, possibly less depending on what the hinges and latches are taking up. If the gate is not centered in the pergola, then one gate will be banging into the post when it's all the way open, the other not.

That's practically-speaking. Aesthetically, visually, if you're after "centered," then you'd use the pergola posts, not the back door, or cement or any lines in the cement or curtain rods or anything else. The posts define the visual window. They are the frame. Nothing else is stronger, visually, then they are. If you center to anything else, the posts will dominate and make the gates look off-center. No one but you will see it any other way.

That said...

Will the fence extend out from the other side of the posts in the same line? This is what I'd do: I'd see if I could have the gates work double-fold-style (you've seen bi-fold doors on closets): four equal width sections that hinge in such a way that they fold up on themselves and end up flat along the fence, outside of the pergola poles, which would open up the entire pergola to the pool. Otherwise, as people lounge and sit and BBQ under the pergola, they're going to have to look through this eight-foot opening and two four foot sections of two layers of gate to view the pool. Doesn't sound as nice as having that entire span between the poles wide open...

You could use something like these, along the gates, to anchor the sections in, so that when you want to just walk through to the pool, you can open just one section of the gate structure, without having to deal with the whole thing. But then you can pull up the pins and open the four sections all the way, when it's "party time."

Alternately, you could have two, or even one, sliding gate, that slides left or right to open up that whole area. Slide it a few feet to get by, slide it all the way to open it all up. You could even motorize it if you wanted to. Something like this:

View attachment 80849

Or accordion-style, so when opened it would fold up to a foot or two thing:

View attachment 80850

Not what you asked, but that's never stopped me before! ;)

Thank you, Dirk! You make a very valid and strong point! I like what you're saying about the gates too. Unfortunately, materials have already been ordered, in fact install is supposed to be tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I'm not sure how it is elsewhere but around here I dread when I need contractors for projects. Companies not answering their phones, not calling back, no calls/no shows, never getting around to getting you a price. I told all of them I wanted opening as big as they could get it. One was talking about 2 x 8' gates but when open would run along the sides of patio, I didn't like that idea it would also suck opening an 8' gate when not having parties. Another one said 2 x 5' but that would hit the pergola posts. Not one mentioned your ideas, which I do like, but oh well it is what it is. I suppose I could always redo it in the future if the 8' opening annoys me.

Do you have small children or grandchildren who frequent your home? If so you want the gate positioned so you have the best site line from the house to be able to see if anyone has escaped adult supervision and is trying to breach the gate.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize you were so far along with the project. Kudos to you for adding this extra layer of protection around your pool. Have a great summer! :sunny:

Do you have small children or grandchildren who frequent your home? If so you want the gate positioned so you have the best site line from the house to be able to see if anyone has escaped adult supervision and is trying to breach the gate.

zea3, we have 2 little ones. Very good point, thank you! I cannot think of a position with better line of site than where it is going, so that makes me feel good.

Be sure you get a good latch and lock for the gate that they cannot open. We suggest a lot of redundant safeguards to keep little ones safe, such as deadbolts up high on the doors that access the pool area, chimes that sound in the house whenever the access doors are opened, and weighting down patio furniture so it cannot be easily pushed to the fence to climb over.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize you were so far along with the project. Kudos to you for adding this extra layer of protection around your pool. Have a great summer! :sunny:

Dirk, no worries! My bad for not including that info. Thank you! We have 2 little ones and 2 dogs. I'm not looking forward to paying for and having a giant "safety gate" in the middle of my already fenced in backyard but I think any parent would agree you have to do what you have to do. Although, I am pretty confident it will make the backyard more enjoyable for wife and I with the extra layer of protection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure you get a good latch and lock for the gate that they cannot open. We suggest a lot of redundant safeguards to keep little ones safe, such as deadbolts up high on the doors that access the pool area, chimes that sound in the house whenever the access doors are opened, and weighting down patio furniture so it cannot be easily pushed to the fence to climb over.

Thank you, zea3! Gate hardware fits BOCA standards. I think I'll put a combo lock on the gates too. We have an alarm on the backdoor. Good idea on the weighted furniture! Heck now that you mention it, I'm thinking about doing that to our inside furniture too. Our toddler loves moving chairs to use to reach things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.