Cloudy Pool

Jun 12, 2016
Trumann, AR
Hey guys,

I have been reading up in Pool School and trying to get a hang of everything that goes into maintaining a pool. I have been having cloudy blue water for about two weeks now and I've not been able to clear it up. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do here. I don't have an expensive test kit and I can't afford to get one until next month. I'm using the HTH Liquid Test Kit. So, I was considering draining the pool completely and just starting over. What are your thoughts?

Here's my pool specs and what I've done over the past two weeks to try and clear it up:

14'x42" Round Vinyl (Cheap Walmart pool :))
I figured it is approximately 4,000 gallons

1. 2 Weeks Ago - Started chlorinating with liquid chlorine (I was using Clorox tablets)
  2. 2 Weeks Ago - Started shocking with liquid chlorine (I was using Clorox shock granules)
  3. Added ~15oz liquid chlorine daily (the jug says 13fl oz per 10,000 gallons results in 1ppm increase)
  4. Three Days Ago - I added enough stabilizer to raise it to 30ppm (The CYA reading on the test kit had a low range of 30ppm and with the tube completely full the black dot was still visible from the top. I assumed it was close to 0)
  5. Yesterday - I shocked the pool with 62.4oz liquid chlorine
  6. Today - It is still cloudy with a high chlorine reading (4ppm+)

I also vacuum daily and leave the pool uncovered from dusk to dawn. I also dosed with water clarifier and an algae preventative this week. We were hoping to get to swim in it today, but the chlorine seems to be too high. It's hard to tell on the test kit if it is 3, 4, or 5ppm (or higher). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your pool of 4K is just over what we call "seasonal pool size" of 3K. However, if you can't get the proper test kit right now, a full drain, wash, and refill might just be your best option for now. Otherwise, you're just dumping chemicals blindly into the water which obviously is having a less than desirable effect. If you do drain & wash, once it's refilled, stick to the basics as follows:
- It's hot now. So use the PoolMath to add stabilizer to the water for a CYA goal of at least 40.
- Day one, add enough regular bleach to the water to increase the FC to about 3ppm. After that, keep it at about 5 ppm and never let it drop below 3. Use only regular bleach. Nothing splashless, scented, or with fabric/polymer additives. Stay away from all the other chlorine products.
- Test and maintain the pH in the mid 7s. Don't let it get over 7.8. When it does, use a little muriatic acid to knock it down. It won't take much.

So you see - easy. Stabilizer, regular bleach, and some muriatic acid. Test daily and always refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to ensure the FC and CYA are balanced properly.
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thank you for the advice. I will try draining and refilling and then next month I'll order a better test kit.

Your pool of 4K is just over what we call "seasonal pool size" of 3K. However, if you can't get the proper test kit right now, a full drain, wash, and refill might just be your best option for now. Otherwise, you're just dumping chemicals blindly into the water which obviously is having a less than desirable effect. If you do drain & wash, once it's refilled, stick to the basics as follows:
- It's hot now. So use the PoolMath to add stabilizer to the water for a CYA goal of at least 40.
- Day one, add enough regular bleach to the water to increase the FC to about 3ppm. After that, keep it at about 5 ppm and never let it drop below 3. Use only regular bleach. Nothing splashless, scented, or with fabric/polymer additives. Stay away from all the other chlorine products.
- Test and maintain the pH in the mid 7s. Don't let it get over 7.8. When it does, use a little muriatic acid to knock it down. It won't take much.

So you see - easy. Stabilizer, regular bleach, and some muriatic acid. Test daily and always refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to ensure the FC and CYA are balanced properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.