Fiberglass steps staining

May 16, 2018
AVON
I have some yellow staining on the top couple of treads on my steps and also just above the water line on the steps. I've tried scrubbing it with Off The Wall and it helps a little, but not much. Don't recall having this problem before.

Numbers as of Sunday are:

Total Chlorine - 5.2
Free Chlorine - 5.2
pH - 7.8 (Acid put in today, so should be back to 7.6 or so)
Alkalinity - 108
Hardness - 407
TDS - 1250
CYA - 130

We checked for metals and there was just a trace (.1) of copper.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Well, I would try the following:
1 - Crushed vitamin C tablets in a thin sock or nylon (iron)
2 - Dry acid also in a sock (copper)
3 - Chlorine tablet rubbed in the area (organic)

I'll also note that while those appear to be pool store tests, which we always caution members about for lack of accuracy, your CH is starting to climb a bit. Once that pH goes over 7.8, it accelerates the potential for calcium scale. Sometimes scale can have a light brown, dull-greyish look to it as well. So give all of that a try and see if anything helps. Last but not least, Jack's Magic ID Stain Test Kit is available on line as well.

No algae that I know of. I treat at opening and closing.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

When you say that you "treat" do you mean add chlorine? If you go by the numbers you should be growing algae and bacteria with 130 CYA and 5 FC. The minimum free available chlorine at CYA=130 should be around 10 ppm in order to keep up with algae and other organisms that enter the pool water.

Have you looked at the chlorine/cya chart?
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Mike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.