Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I have been using the TFP method since we bought the house almost five years ago. I feel quite comfortable with all the tests and maintaining my pool with relative ease and full confidence. Two years ago, I bought the R-7065 just to make ensure the test was accurate. In order to get the standard 50 PPM, I had to stand with my back to the sun, but instead of holding the test directly in front of me at waist height, I had to hold it to my side. If I perform the test with the comparator in front of me, it registers between 30 and 40 so it would be 40. When performing the test with the comparator to the side, I always get exactly 50 ppm. I have repeated this test at all times of the year. Every single time, I must hold the test to the side to get the 50 PPM reading. I use this same angle to do the actual test (R-0013) to determine my CYA. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Why do some on this forum say to glance at the dot? Taylor’s instructions says when dot completely disappears. Jasonlion also has stated to stare at the dot till is completely gone.

Because the mind is a terrible thing. If you are looking at something with the intent of seeing it, you will. If you are one of the folks that can look at the dot and want to NOT see it, then watching would be fine. But the great majority of folks have a hard time doing that.

Maybe,but for me I can only see things that can be seen. My brain doesn’t play tricks. I don’t hallucinate. I’m gonna have to get the 50 standard and if I can see the dot at 50 my world will be crushing down on me. :(
Do you see the black dots here? Because they aren't there.
attachment.php

Has anyone else had a similar situation?

No, but at least you figured out a method that works reliably for you which is all that matters. Shows the value of the Standard Solution. We're key part of this test so we need to be calibrated too!

I'm not a fan of doing it outside but I don't really find how I hold it or the lighting makes that much difference. In the end I do it the way Taylor instructional video teaches and that works for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a Taylor test solution of 50 parts CYA and when I fill the tube to exactly 50 I can still see the dot. So taking it until the dot "disappears" I think will give you a reading higher than it actually is.

The idea is that with the 50 test solution, you find a place in your yard, and a way to hold the tube and any other thing you can think of so that you don't see the dot. Then just repeat that same arrangement when you are testing your water. It's for calibrating 'you'

The idea is that with the 50 test solution, you find a place in your yard, and a way to hold the tube and any other thing you can think of so that you don't see the dot. Then just repeat that same arrangement when you are testing your water. It's for calibrating 'you'

I thought the point was to see what an actual, measured, verified 50 part sample would look like. Why else would they sell it? I don't think it matters where you look at it but now you know what to look for when you test your actual water. And I see from this sample that I have less CYA than I thought I was testing and that the dot doesn't totally disappear. In fact, it is a good 10 point lower than I was testing. I would have called their sample 40.

I thought the point was to see what an actual, measured, verified 50 part sample would look like. Why else would they sell it? I don't think it matters where you look at it but now you know what to look for when you test your actual water. And I see from this sample that I have less CYA than I thought I was testing and that the dot doesn't totally disappear. In fact, it is a good 10 point lower than I was testing. I would have called their sample 60.

Ah, I see. You are calibrating your definition of disappear. If that works for you, great! That's the whole point. Find what works for you and be consistent with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.