Broken Fitting RepairJob - Good Enough, or go with OEM?

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
Greetings:

During Pool Opening this year one of the quick connect fittings on the Polaris booster pump busted. It was the pump's feed line coming from the T on the return side. We improvised a "quick fix" by a trip to Lowe's. Here's what I did:

1. I removed the quick connect fittings, and cleaned all the old silicone sealant out.

2. Replaced the quick connect fittings with a threaded/barbed adapter similar to this, using teflon tape on threads and a bead of silicone sealant at the top of the threads: Shop BrassCraft 3/4-in x 3/4-in Barbed Barb x MIP Adapter Fitting at Lowes.com

3. Attached a custom cut section of a hose similar to this: Shop EASTMAN 3/4-in x 10-ft Reinforced PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing at Lowes.com

4. Secured the flex hose with clamp rings similar to this: Shop Murray 10-Pack 3/4-in - 1-1/2-in Dia Stainless Steel Adjustable Clamps at Lowes.com

The fix worked well enough to allow pool opening, everything is running fine. (It looks really nice and clean too, bonus!) But would it be better to consider replacing the whole smash with this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-R0617100-SoftTube-Connect-Swimming/dp/B00V03PWG8 ?

Thanks,
Kelly

Attached is photo of the repair job, it kinda makes me want to replace the other old hose with the same as the repair.

The reason I'm asking if this is a worthy repair - I've been watching "Swimming Pool Steve's" videos of equipment pad issues. LOL... The flex hose I used isn't exactly listed on any "pool worthy" list of flex hoses I've seen. I guess I'm concerned there might be hidden issues of some sort that a non-expert like myself wouldn't be aware of.

20180612_173123.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.