Pool Calculator for iPhone !

The main advantage of having the app is that it fits things on the screen very nicely. You can page from function to function with a tap or two, without any scrolling. Other than that there are only a few very minor differences between the app and web page. For example, the app does calculations for caustic soda and sodium tetraborate pentahydrate and a few other obscure chemicals.

I use it on an ipad touch, my kids use it for other apps/music and regularly run the battery dead flat, so that might explain it. I won't bother with it as is, pain in the but having to set up. Are updates free, if this bug is fixed in updates?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suggested improvements for Iphone Calculator:
1- Can u make so it keeps the set up info? If I close the app on the iphone (totally close), it loses all set up info
2- Can you add a log sheet to track test results, chems added and results of chems added? This could be as simple as adding a spreadsheet that might even be user customizable...and maybe the log sheet could have a way to copy and paste for those of us that need to post what we are doing in the forums??
3- The calcuations seem to differ from the results given using my Taylor kit. The Taylor kit seems to be the more accurate one. Unless you designed the formulas to give lower results to keeps us from messing up??
4-Print option for the log or at least export
BTW, I would bet that if you need finacial help in making the improvements that most of us would be happy to donate towards this
Thanks,

Cush Dobbs

As noted in this post in January, 2001, Jason sold The Pool Calculator iPhone app to pSiFlow Technologies, Inc. Unfortunately, it does not appear that they have done very much with the application -- not even fixing the problem of losing settings when the app is completely closed.

What do you mean that the results differ from that in the Taylor kit? Are you referring to the acid/base demand tests and predicting how much acid or base is needed to adjust pH? Those calculations are approximate, even in online The Pool Calculator though that does take into account some variables such as TA and Borates levels.

Ph was 7.9, calculator said I needed 7.5oz, Taylor kit said 24oz and yes Taylor number was derived from the base demand result. I guess I can see that there is a fairly wide range of variables with this.

I think you didn't enter in the pool size correctly into the calculator. Your pool would appear to be around 30000 gallons if the depth averages 4.5 feet. When I enter that into The Pool Calculator and use a TA of 80 ppm, then going from 7.9 to 7.5 says 29 fluid ounces of full-strength (31.45% - 20º Baumé) Muriatic Acid which is close to your base demand result. Since your pool is free-form, perhaps the size is more like 25000 gallons which would give 24 fluid ounces of Muriatic Acid.

One more item: It appears that the folks that bought the calculator have made one of their own....at least they have an ad on a website called howsmywater.com. However, thae calculator is not available. When I clicked on the link to itunes, itunes says it is not available in the USA. The ad says that their calculator has all the features we were hoping would be added to the "Pool Calculator" Too bad they don't really have it. FYI, the CEO of PSIFLOW Technologies has been hire by Apple! Maybe you could buy the one you sold them back and then we could fix it. I think I know some guys that could fix it. Worth a try?

What's the latest on updates? I'm sick of having to enter all of my information every time I use this app. This should be a straightforward fix, since all of my other apps can maintain their settings. I assume there is a built in facility for storing settings in an iPhone app, or creating a log file that can be read on start up, or something to that effect. Seems like a basic functionality.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.