Bad Bleach?

May 26, 2008
Tennessee
Does bleach have a shelf life? Will it lose its strength while in the bottle? I've been using store brand bleach (6.25 and 8.25) for years... no problem! This year I found a bargain.. 4 bottles of 10.25 % for $8.99. I bought 8. It just doesn't seem to be doing the job.
CYA 30
PH 7.6
13,000 GALLONS AG

Put in 2 gallons of the 10.25.. over night. Next morning free chlorine only 7ppm.
More bleach... through the day. Then 2 more gallons last night. Haven't taken a reading this morning... but pool is still green. No change. Usually if I put in a couple of gallons of 8.25.. there's a noticeable change overnight.

Just wondering if the bargain bleach could be bad?

Yes, bleach looses activity if stored improperly or if over a year old. I just had a batch that was at best 10% active. You can look for an expiration date on the bottle.
I knew it was possible from reading this site and recognized the test results early.

:lovetfp:

Does bleach have a shelf life? Will it lose its strength while in the bottle? I've been using store brand bleach (6.25 and 8.25) for years... no problem! This year I found a bargain.. 4 bottles of 10.25 % for $8.99. I bought 8. It just doesn't seem to be doing the job.
CYA 30
PH 7.6
13,000 GALLONS AG

Put in 2 gallons of the 10.25.. over night. Next morning free chlorine only 7ppm.
More bleach... through the day. Then 2 more gallons last night. Haven't taken a reading this morning... but pool is still green. No change. Usually if I put in a couple of gallons of 8.25.. there's a noticeable change overnight.

Just wondering if the bargain bleach could be bad?

Are you attempting to SLAM Process the pool?

At your next bleach addition, test the water 15-20 min after you added the bleach to see if you reached your target. It is not uncommon for algae to ‘consume’ bleach quickly, especially overnight. Daytime losses would be a combination of UV (sunlight) and algae.

How do you test the water?

Yes.. slamming.. use tfp test kit... i can measure high levels of FC.

Maybe the algae is eating it overnight. I just usually see some difference in the shade of green. Not this time.

I'll check the dates.

Going to buy some store brand 8.25 today.. see if that does better.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes.. slamming.. use tfp test kit... i can measure high levels of FC.

Maybe the algae is eating it overnight. I just usually see some difference in the shade of green. Not this time.

I'll check the dates.

Going to buy some store brand 8.25 today.. see if that does better.

Thanks for the answers.

Remember, a SLAM requires multiple tests/doses throughout the day to be truly effective. If you are only able test and dose once a day, the SLAM will take much longer.

When I had to SLAM, I would test and dose before I left for work in the morning, as soon as I got home, after dinner, and just before bed. I left a pre-measured dose for my wife to add at lunchtime too, anticipating my daytime loss.

I raise to shock level and maintain for 48 - 72 hrs.
Our SLAM process is a little bit different today. There are 3 criteria to pass and it could take longer than a couple days depending upon the pool's algae condition and/or the owners available time to brush, backwash, etc. The SLAM Process page is updated with all the latest details. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are missing the point. You can have clear water and there still be something in the water and you will not know that unless you pass the three criteria to stop the slam or that takes one day or one week

Because ... if it works in 48-72 hrs... why continue? Hey.. everyone should do what works for them.. a clean pool is what its about. If you want to keep the pool at shock level for 5 days, a week.. a month.. that's cool.
Everyone should follow the SLAM Process as written..... there is no random timeframe, the pool must meet three criteria to end a SLAM:
1) Pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
2) CC is 0.5ppm or less
3) The Water is clear enough to read heads or tails on a coin in the deep end and is free of all algae, dead or alive.

Once those three conditions are met the SLAM is complete, no need to maintain SLAM further, it’s just a waste of chlorine at that point.

I agree, everyone should do what works for them and their pool, but not when it comes to a proper SLAM.

Did you ever try checking the FC 15-20 min after adding it to see if you are even reaching your FC target?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.