new pump won't kick on - guests coming Sunday!

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
Hi all! Nothing like a new pool season starting with problems! My 1 hp Emerson motor had become too loud so I decided to replace it. Since I was having a pool guy come do other things, I had him replace the pump and seal. Now it won't kick on! It's almost exactly how my pumps used to act in the past when the capacitor was bad, but this is a NEW motor! So, the diffuser was looking a little worse for wear so we thought that that might be the problem because the motor worked just fine when not hooked up to the housing...thereby also letting us know that the capacitor was indeed working. I am a total loss and so is he as to what could be causing this! And of course, I will have guests on Sunday so I really need to get this fixed! He was supposed to come look at it and install the diffuser this afternoon, but of course never showed up so I did it myself! It just hums when I turn it on. HELP!

TIA

Karen

Hey Karen. :wave: Others may have more experience in this area and will hopefully reply, but something I had to ask ….. with power off, has anyone tried simply reaching in to the pump basket to touch the impeller to see if it spins freely? Or perhaps removed the motor back cover and tried turning the shaft? Either of those to see if it spins okay?

Hey Karen. :wave: Others may have more experience in this area and will hopefully reply, but something I had to ask ….. with power off, has anyone tried simply reaching in to the pump basket to touch the impeller to see if it spins freely? Or perhaps removed the motor back cover and tried turning the shaft? Either of those to see if it spins okay?

Hi Texas Splash! The impeller will turn but freely is not a word I would use. :) It does turn but it is a little difficult to do. I need to add that this diffuser that I bought is a little different than the one it is replacing but only in the part where the impeller meets the diffuser. The holes all match up but the larger holes that house the screws where there were 2 with extensions and 1 that did not, this one has 1 that has an extension and 2 that do not so there's a lop-sided gap when they are screwed in. That may be an issue but, when I take the motor off of the pump housing, it will will not turn, just hums.

Hi Texas Splash! The impeller will turn but freely is not a word I would use. :) It does turn but it is a little difficult to do. I need to add that this diffuser that I bought is a little different than the one it is replacing but only in the part where the impeller meets the diffuser. The holes all match up but the larger holes that house the screws where there were 2 with extensions and 1 that did not, this one has 1 that has an extension and 2 that do not so there's a lop-sided gap when they are screwed in. That may be an issue but, when I take the motor off of the pump housing, it will will not turn, just hums.

Okay, I have now opened up the motor and yes, the impeller moves freely.

Just so I get this straight, you replaced the motor but kept the same wet end? Please attach a photo of the pump and the original pump brand. A readable photo of the motor label too if possible.

Just so I get this straight, you replaced the motor but kept the same wet end? Please attach a photo of the pump and the original pump brand. A readable photo of the motor label too if possible.

Yes, correct, just the motor. I have now pulled it open to check the seal and the impeller and discovered that the impeller is lopsided! :( I believe the seal was improperly installed as well now! After all these years you would think I would get it that "pool guys" don't know chit! I have replaced the seal and am now trying to get it back together...the impeller screw is giving me troubles. I *think* it will work now if I can get this accomplished because I went ahead and put it back together and it did turn over. Be back in a few to report...Thanks for your help!

If the impeller is lop-sided, then it is bad and is likely to rub and prevent the motor from turning.

Well, I have now replaced the seal, used the old infuser and made sure the impeller was level....the pump is working!! :kim: Now I seem to have an air/leak problem. When I turn the motor off, I hear water draining and the pump basket does not completely fill up when it’s on. Also, this pump sure is not in places when running. Could that be part of the breaking in of the motor??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now, I have another issue! There's water streaming out of the bottom of the pump! Here's a pic of the bottom of the pump where the water is coming from. That's pollen from the pool! View attachment 78598

And this last time I put it back together it is now making a strange noise! I have a 10 sec video that has the sound but it's been a while since I have posted a video. I know Photobucket no longer allows it without a subscription so I'm at a loss as to how to post a video...

I think that leaked would be due to the shaft seal

You think the one I just put in this morning is already failing?? I didn't touch it, was sure to not do that. I have again opened up and the impeller screw was a little loose, so I tightened it. But, it's still leaking. I did buy 2 seals this morning (at a cost of $40 at Leslie's when they are $2 online!! grrr...) You think if I replace it again it should stop the leak?? The noise must have been from the loose screw because it's no longer making it.

Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion and went and changed out the seal. It doesn't' sound good. I'm afraid to let it go for too long. I'm very tired of messing with it. I think I'll see if I can get someone else to look at it.

You/y'all are a blessing! I very much appreciate your help in trying to get this taken care of! Hard to do online!

Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.