where did my bleach go?

May 25, 2018
Derwood
Hi all,
I opened my 16,000 gal pool the other day. first I dumped in 5 gal of 8.25% clorox, tested the CL level, got zero. put in three more gallons, tested CL, got zero. THe bleach smelled pretty strong when I was pouring so i would assume its fresh, and I just bought it at giant. I thought maybe my test kit went bad so I hauled a sample to the LPS and they read zero as well. PH read 7.7, CYA 4, TH 207, TA120, where did my chlorine go? My pool has an auto cover so it gets very little sunlight.

I then added 3 lbs of cal hypo, waited and hour, tested CL and got 0ppm! Next day (today) I added 3 lbs more cal hypo, waited an hour, tested and CL was 10 ppm. where did all that chlorine go? ???

water looked pretty decent when I opened, a little cloudy, no algea that I could see, i use one of those 4" floating ball "water pill" I think it's called. water temp about 65 when I started all this.

- - - Updated - - -

test results were from the LPS. I was suspicious of my Taylor DPD full test kit when I could not read CL so I went to the LPS. subsequent readings with my taylor kit were similar.

oh forgot, added 6oz of floculent ( a little too much, I know)
this evening water looked okaaaaay, not sparkling, slightly turbid (is that the word? )

maybe the water had a lot of organics, and used up the FC? but CC was zero also.

I cleaned out all the leaves before I started, not much really. I ran my dolphin robot for about 8 hours. that bag is supposed to be good to 2 microns or so.

The first year of pool ownership I had to dump about 40 jugs of bleach in before any FC would hold. From reading on here, I suspect it was an ammonia problem. You can search on it as I'm not real clear, but eventually the ammonia is dissipated by the bleach, and at that point you can start to register FC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.