Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which lights for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which lights for my pool?

28' gunite pool w/ light greay plaster
    I'm installing 3x Oasis Nova Falls 18" fiber lit Waterfalls (or similar, any recomendations?)
    Since I'm going to have the illuminator already, what will be the best, most cost effective way to light the pool with colors? I don't see why I need a lot of light. It's more for the look than functionality. Would fiber lights be too dim or require too many to be inexpensive? Are led's too dim? Anyone have the fiberstars Jazz lights, are they bright? They can be synchronized with the fiber illuminator which would be cool. 12v vs. 120v? Help, I'm lost with too many choices.
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Which lights for my pool?

if you are getting oasis nova falls - my suggestion would be to look at their savi system

use a SaVI source LED fibre iluminator instead of the noisy halide ones

you can then match the colour change up in the pool with the savi note/ savi melody light system

we have sold around 300+ of these lights in the last year or so, and our clients love them

cost will work out better than full fibre optic system

due to the wavelength of the LED light in the water they are not only brighter but also carry the colour better with a wider beam spread than you get from fibre

3. Back To Top    #3

Man, the Nexxus site sure isn't very user friendly. Definately geared towards the builder that already know what he wants. I'm having trouble finding a SaVI source LED fibre iluminator, do you have a link? Is the M4 what I would need to sync it all? If I understand correctly, the M4 will link the illuminator and the Savi LED pool and spa light so that I can sync it all up? Thanks for your help.

edit:
    I can't find the Savi Source anywhere. What is the price on it? What is the wattage equivalent? How many strands does it hold? All I can find is the manual;
    http://www.svlighting.com/products/LED/savi_source.html
    Maybe I could get the waterfalls that come with the LED driver, like this;
    http://www.inyopools.com/Products/03300021048059.htm
    Or use the same waterfalls I was planning and use one of these;
    http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.a ... =388635821
    75 watt equivalent, is that bright enough for 3 waterfalls?

And do you suggest using multiple Savi notes or melody's vs. using one of these savi lights;
    http://www.inyopools.com/lights_savi.aspx

If so, how many notes/melody's would be sufficeint for a 28' long pool as shown in my other post;
    diy-pool-project-t11004.html

And finally, what is the difference in the note vs. the melody?

With the M4, can I have different colors for each of the 4 units, or do they all have to be synchronized to be alike?

Sorry for so many questions but I really appreciate it.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the Melody installed and the only difference between it and the Note is that the Melody has the control circuits included in the light body, so no external control system needed. If you wire them all to a single switch, then they will all sync up.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a way to un-synchronize them, have different colors on each, other than by putting them on separate switches? How about the notes?
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

6. Back To Top    #6

There is no way to unsync the Melodys if they are hooked to the same power source and switch. The power on/off sequence is what determines the color or mode. However, if you add a switch after the transformer, you are only dealing with 12 volts A/C and just a few amps, so you can use a small switch.
    Solar heat

7. Back To Top    #7

For the cost of the M4, I think the Melody is the way to go. Anyone have any experiece with the X-Stream LED fiber driver? Brightness? Work for three 18" 50 fiber strand nova falls? How many melody's for the main light in my pool/spa?
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

8. Back To Top    #8

My PB installed 2 Melodys in my pool 25' long x 13' wide. They were placed about 7 foot from each end along the long end. 1 installed in the spa. The two pool lights are on one switch and the spa light on a separate switch. The switches were put with the equipment and the electrican wanted too much $ to put them inside. So I was thinking of getting wireless switches, but decided to run hard wire to switches inside the house. Since it is after the transformer, I only need bell wire (16 ga) or so.
    Solar heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Only two huh, I thought I was gonna have to go with three. That's good news. You're happy with the brightness I presume? No I just need to figure out the placement, because those bar stools are kinda in the way. Maybe since theyre so small I can place them in the corners, one in the deep end and the other near the reaf step.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I'd let you know if I was happy or not if my pool was completed. Was supposed to be filled this week, but still waiting for the electrician and the dry inspection. Anyway, I should know sometime next week.

I was very concerned with only two of those small lights in my pool, but the PB assured me it would be enough, especially with our mostly white pool interior. In retrospect, I should have sent a plan of my pool to Nexxus to see if they had any thoughts.
    Solar heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Cool, keep me informed when you get it filled. I sent my prints to Nexxus a couple days ago and got this response;
    Nathan,
    I have copied our pool sales division and tech support to try to better your questions.
    Sincerely,
    John C. Gonzalez
    Technical Support Representative

I am still waiting for a response from the pool sales division. I'll let you know what they have to say.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry for the delay. Electrician bought the wrong junction box for my lights and it took an entire WEEK to get the right one. Here are some photos.

You can see in the deep end that there is some shadow. I thought they put out a 180 or close to that beam, but maybe not.

[attachment=1:2tk00o2j]P9163059.JPG[/attachment:2tk00o2j][attachment=0:2tk00o2j]P9163061.JPG[/attachment:2tk00o2j]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Solar heat

13. Back To Top    #13

WOW, that looks great. So two lights it is. Very impressive for such a small light. Thanks for the great photos.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

14. Back To Top    #14

That's awesome!

So basically, do you just have this kit and nothing else?
    http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... =327063535
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty
    So basically, do you just have this kit and nothing else?
    http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... =327063535
    That is correct. Although I have one additional light in the spa. Notice the large shadow in the deep end. Not terrible, but I suppose had I put the lights lower, this would not be so bad.

Another thing about these lights is that there is no red. The smooth transition feature is nice.

Currently I'm fighting with the PB to get him to add a switch so that I can shut off the spa vs pool lights that I talked to him about 2 months ago. I checked with Nexxus and it is as simple as adding a standard wall switch AFTER the transformer (ie. 12 volts AC). So currently I have a main switch before the transformer that turns on all 3.
    Solar heat

16. Back To Top    #16

Another question on these lights. Is this considered a wet niche? Do I still need a junction (deck) box for these or can they be wired straight to the transformer?

edit: In case anyone else is looking for this answer, after some more digging I see that a deck box is not required. I really hope my inspector knows what he is talking about and doesnt harrass me on this.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

17. Back To Top    #17

Low voltage light wiring, grey conduit or white

Anyone know if these need to be grey pipe into the shell or just the regular white pvc that the rest of the pool is plumbed with?
    "The SAVI MELODY fits into a standard return fitting with a minimum 14 inches of 1.5” diameter PVC pipe. Then reduce to a 1” diameter conduit for the cable run to the transformer."
    They make it sound like you can use the white pipe into the shell then reduce to grey. Is that up to code?
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

18. Back To Top    #18

My PB used white pvc and reduced to grey conduit.
    Solar heat